Financial restructuring is taking on a new and ever-larger role in today’s increasingly complex business environment. Faced with changes in the competitive global economy and within their own industries, clients are increasingly turning to financial restructuring as an option for reorganizing and/or acquiring core businesses, shedding excess assets or divisions, and reformulating long-term objectives. The widespread use of financial restructuring as a tool of financial planning has changed the face of corporate deal-making.
Greenberg Traurig’s Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice provides clients with the insight and knowledge that come with decades of advisory and litigation experience handling highly complex issues that arise in reorganizations, restructurings, workouts, liquidations and distressed acquisitions and sales as well as cross-border proceedings. We offer clients a broad multidisciplinary approach supported by a nationally recognized practice that has been engaged in many of the key complex restructurings and bankruptcies of our time.
We offer clients the resources and reach of one the country’s largest bankruptcy practices, supported by the firm’s international platform of approximately 1,750 attorneys in the United States, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
In 2013, U.S. News - Best Lawyers® named Greenberg Traurig "Law Firm of the Year" in the Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy categories.
GT’s restructuring team offers clients a multidisciplinary approach, bringing together the knowledge and capabilities of our team with those of attorneys in the firm’s strong complementary practices – including Corporate & Securities, Environmental, Financial Institutions, Litigation, Mergers & Acquisitions, Real Estate and Tax. Together, we help companies navigate challenging times and address the full range of issues that can arise when reorganizing their core businesses, shedding excess assets or divisions, reformulating long-term objectives or dealing with distressed companies.
GT’s practice brings together experienced restructuring attorneys based in commercial centers across the country. Our attorneys have strong working relationships and meaningful experience in our local business and legal communities – including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, London, Los Angeles, Miami, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Tampa, Tysons Corner, and Wilmington.
GT’s national platform enables us to offer swift, cost-efficient counsel to clients with headquarters and operations throughout the United States, ranging from major multinationals to significant regional companies. We promise our clients immediate access to experienced senior restructuring attorneys who will be attentive to their needs. We deliver innovative thinking and practical strategies to help resolve complicated situations and take advantage of the opportunities hidden in times of trouble.
Our business-focused approach to legal services means that we can help clients tap into opportunities that may arise, such as acquisitions or sales of distressed companies’ assets. We provide clients access to the GT platform – our strong working relationships within their local business community, as well as access to the business networks of our 1750 attorneys.
GT’s Business Reorganization & Financial Restructuring Practice has been recognized as one of the leading restructuring practices in the United States:
- Named 2013 “Law Firm of the Year” in the Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law and Litigation – Bankruptcy categories by U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USA recognized 14 of our attorneys in the Bankruptcy/Restructuring category in its 2014 edition
- The Best Lawyers in America® recognized 13 of our attorneys in the Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law category in its 2015 edition
- 2014 ACG New York Champion’s Award for Technology, Media, Telecom Deal of the Year (Over $100mm) for our role in the Restructuring of FriendFinder Networks Inc.
- The M&A Advisor has recognized our practice with the following Turnaround Awards:
- 2014 Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year (Over $100mm to $1 Billion) for our role in the Chapter 11 reorganization of HMX, LLC
- 2014 Sec. 363 Sale of the Year (Over $100mm to $1 Billion) for our role in the 363 bankruptcy sale of Orchard Supply Hardware Stores
- Global M&A Network has recognized our practice with the following Turnaround Atlas Awards:
- 2014 Cross Border Special Situation M&A Deal of the Year for our role in the AgFeed Industries sale of assets to Ningbo Tech Bank, TriOak Foods and Smithfield/Murphy
- 2014 Media & Entertainment Turnaround of the Year for our role in the reorganization of FriendFinder Networks Inc.
- 2014 Consumer Goods Turnaround of the Year for our role in the Orchard Supply Hardware Stores sale to Lowes
- Keith Shapiro received the 2014 Turnaround Leadership Award
- Nancy Mitchell and Nancy Peterman named among the 2014 Top 100: Global Restructuring & Turnaround Dealmakers
- 2013 Insolvency Deal of the Year – Middle Markets for our role in the Chapter 11 restructuring of ShengdaTech, Inc.
- Nancy Peterman was named the 2013 Restructuring Lawyer of the Year - Middle Markets
- 2012 Turnaround of the Year - Upper Mid Markets for our role in the pre-packaged Chapter 11 restructuring and recapitalization of Satélites Mexicanos S.A. de C.V.
- 2012 Private Equity Turnaround Deal of the Year for our role in the Chapter 11 reorganization and acquisition of American Laser Skincare LLC
- Keith Shapiro named the 2012 Restructuring Lawyer of the Year - Middle Markets
- 2011 Middle Market Law Firm of the Year
- 2011 Healthcare Turnaround of the Year for our role in the sale of Chem Rx Corp. to PharMerica Corp.
- 2010 Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year for deals above $1 billion for our role in the restructuring of LandSource Communities Development LLC
- We were recognized for our role in the restructuring of Satélites Mexicanos, S.A. de C.V, which was honored with Latin Lawyer’s 2012 Restructuring of the Year award
- Our team includes six attorneys who are Fellows in the American College of Bankruptcy
- Howard Steinberg was a member of a team that received the 2012 International Financial Law Review Deal of the Year Award for its representation of RIM in connection with a $4.5 billion patent portfolio purchase in the Nortel bankruptcy
- Bankruptcy Law360 ranked our practice the 10th largest, based on number of bankruptcy attorneys worldwide, in its 2012 survey
- We are a member of INSOL International’s elite “Group of Thirty-Six” – a global group of 36 legal, accounting, financial and other professional firms and financial institutions engaged in cross-border and international insolvencies
Practice Area Experience
We practice regularly in courts throughout the United States, as well as in other jurisdictions around the world. Our attorneys have played critical roles in many recent complex bankruptcies and restructurings, including those of AbitibiBowater Inc., AgFeed USA, LLC, Allens, Inc., American Airlines, Ashton Woods USA LLC, Atlantis Plastics, Inc., Bank United Financial Corporation, Bruno's Supermarkets, LLC, Chem Rx Corp., Chesapeake Corporation, DBSI, Inc., DirectBuy Holdings, Inc., Conseco Finance Company, Eurofresh, Extended Stay Hotels, Inc., Fontainebleau Las Vegas, FriendFinder Networks Inc., General Growth Properties, General Motors Corp., Global Crossing, Indianapolis Downs, LLC, Lake Las Vegas, LandSource Communities Development LLC, Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Liberty Healthcare Group, Satélites Mexicanos S.A. de C.V., Smurfit-Stone Container Corp., Southeast Banking Corporation, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inc., TOUSA, Inc., Tropicana Entertainment, LLC, United Airlines, Werner Holding Co. (DE), Inc., and Westgate Resorts, LLC.
Our attorneys have broad and deep experience representing all of the parties to bankruptcies and restructurings, both in court and out of court, including:
- Official and ad hoc committees of creditors
- Investors and purchasers of assets, debt instruments or equity of troubled companies
- Secured and unsecured creditors and DIP lenders
- Boards of directors and board committees
- Trustees, receivers, examiners, indenture trustees and other fiduciaries
- Post-confirmation fiduciaries in litigation and asset disposition
In addition, we offer unparalleled experience, knowledge and depth in a number of key industries, including:
- Financial services
- Health care
- Real estate
GT Restructuring Review (Blog)
Please visit Greenberg Traurig’s GT Restructuring Review – a space where we provide information and commentary on important topics and developments in the restructuring industry.