The firm represents individuals in connection with cases involving personal injuries arising out of the design, manufacture, or sale of products such as medical devices, drugs and chemicals, medical, construction and industrial tools and equipment, motor and recreational vehicles and components, sale and implantation of diseased human tissue and many other consumer products. We have successfully represented many parties in products liability cases over the past two decades.
Our attorneys are experienced in national class action litigation, mass tort litigation and multi-district litigation involving toxins, products, devices and pharmaceuticals, including:
- Diet drugs
- Phenylpropanolamine over the counter cold medicine
- Duragesic Pain Patch
- Levaquin antibiotic
- Medtronic and Guidant cardiac devices
- Yaz, Yasmin & Ocella birth control
- Reglan/Metoclopramide gastrointestinal drug
- Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Tysabri multiple sclerosis drug
- Automobile defects
In addition to the above, Todd & Weld LLP has pursued litigation involving:
- Transvaginal Mesh Devices: Mesh implants used to treat pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence have left many women with severe injuries, including mesh erosion, pain, bleeding, scarring, infection, urinary problems and even death. From 2008-2010 there was a fivefold increase in adverse events reported to the FDA related to the use of vaginal mesh. A study in Obstetrics and Gynecology reported that 15 percent of the women treated with vaginal mesh experienced complications. The study further concluded that mesh did not provide a greater benefit over the traditional surgical treatment involving use of the patients' own ligaments. In January of 2012, the FDA ordered new safety studies to be conducted by manufacturers of vaginal mesh implants to track the side effects, and indicated that the product could end up in a higher-risk category. Todd & Weld's team is currently litigating a vast number of mesh cases against Boston Scientific and Tyco/Covidien in Middlesex Superior Court.
- Trek Bicycle Carbon Steerer Fork Failures: Trek carbon steerer forks are suddenly, without warning, fracturing while being ridden. As a result, riders are catapulted over the handlebars onto the road, often at great speeds causing catastrophic head and brain injuries, and even death. There are safer alternative designs that Trek failed to incorporate, and despite having notice of dozens of failures and resultant severe injuries, it continues to sell its bicycles with a defective steerer fork, without notifying consumers or bicycle retailers of the potential risk for failure.
- Goodyear Radiant Hoses: Todd & Weld represented several thousand New England homeowners against Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company to recover for property damages arising from a defective hose used for home heating. The hose—which was imbedded in floors and ceilings and used for hydronic heating and snow melting—hardens, cracks, and leaks. Todd & Weld was instrumental in orchestrating a $320 million national class settlement with Goodyear—the largest class action settlement in 2004 in the country.
Thousands of people each year suffer serious injuries and even death caused by products, drugs, medical devices and malpractice. Todd & Weld is a leader in representing people who have suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of unsafe drugs, devices and products.