• Gov. Edwards’ Office Publishes Resources For Flood Victims
  • September 11, 2016
  • Law Firm: Taylor Porter Brooks Phillips L.L.P. - Baton Rouge Office
  • Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards and his office have published "Resources for Flood Victims" on its web site. Below are several resources to help flood victims:

    Register Your Damages with FEMA

    Louisiana disaster survivors are urged to register for federal disaster assistance with FEMA. The claim number for the flooding in Louisiana is 4277. When you have completed the FEMA registration, you will be assigned a FEMA registration number. This will be a 9-digit number that will start with 50 or 45.

    Individuals and business owners in the designated parishes who had storm or flood damage should register for “Individual Assistance” with FEMA in the following ways:
    • Online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
    • By phone at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
    • People who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY should call 1-800-462-7585
    • For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362

    The toll free telephone numbers above will operate 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

    If you have flood insurance, you must also file a flood insurance claim with your insurance company.

    NFIP: Flood Insurance Claims and Questions

    Everyone is urged to contact their insurance company to file their individual claims.
    Call 1-800-621-3362 Monday to Friday 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. and select Option 2 for the FEMA call center. Staff will be assisting policyholders with information regarding their flood insurance policy, offer technical guidance to aid in recovery and provide answers to complicated and general questions about the NFIP.


    FEMA Temporary Housing Assistance - Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA)
    Hotel rooms for eligible survivors paid for by FEMA

    What is this?

    This is a temporary program for survivors displaced from their primary residence that allows eligible disaster survivors to select from a list of partner hotel rooms.

    Who is eligible?

    If you were displaced from the storm, have registered with FEMA and selected one of the locations listed below, you may be eligible for help from the TSA program:
    • Living in a car
    • Living in a hotel/motel
    • Living in a mass shelter
    • Living at your place of employment
    How does it work?

    When you registered with FEMA and are eligible, then FEMA will automatically call you over the next several days. This FEMA call will be a recorded message telling you that you are eligible and referring you to a website where you will find a list of hotels with available rooms. You can call the hotel where you would like to stay to arrange a room. Upon your arrival and check in, you will provide your registration number and a government ID. Rooms are directly paid through FEMA.

    FEMA will contact you throughout your stay to assist you with your future housing plans. Your case will be managed on an individual basis to determine, for example, whether you have received your Individual Assistance money from FEMA and been provided available rental resources that would lead to a more permanent housing solution.

    Louisiana Housing Corporation Renting a House/Condo/Apartment

    What is this?

    This is a website that collects all types of rental property available right now where displaced survivors can go to find a rental property available for rent immediately in your area. It is also a website where property owners who want to rent out their property should list their property. We are encouraging any property owner who has rental property available to please go to this site and list their property. We are also encouraging anyone who has property available to rent to list their property for less than the typical one-year lease, and to consider leasing for a month, or month-to-month basis, etc.

    Who is eligible?

    While anyone can use this website, we are urging flood survivors from the recent event to go to this website because they can find immediate housing here that will help them move out of shelters. You can use your own private funds, a Section 8 Housing voucher that you already have, or can take advantage of FEMA Individual Assistance money you receive to pay for the monthly rental of these units.

    How does it work?

    You may select find a rental and then search by location and select the price range in which you are searching for a temporary rental unit. You may also select List a Rental and enter information about a property unit you have available for rent.

    Disaster Food Stamps (DSNAP)

    *For the most up-to-date information on DSNAP, visit dcfs.la.gov

    What is DSNAP?

    DSNAP provides eligible households - who do not currently receive SNAP benefits - with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.

    Will I receive DSNAP benefits if I already receive regular SNAP benefits?

    If you already receive SNAP benefits and live in a parish or ZIP code where DSNAP is activated, you may automatically have supplemental SNAP benefits added to your EBT cards. You DO NOT need to pre-register or apply for DSNAP. Please do not visit a DSNAP location!

    How can I pre-register for DSNAP?

    Residents can pre-register online at dcfs.la.gov/preregister or by phone at 1- 888-LAHELP-U (888-524-3578).

    Should I pre-register for DSNAP?

    If you were impacted by the storm and haven't registered already, we encourage you to do so. It will reduce the time you have to spend at a DSNAP site.

    If you have pre-registered for DSNAP at any time or already received DSNAP, you DO NOT need to pre-register again. When you visit a DSNAP site to complete your application, the caseworker will be able to update your previous information.

    What do I need to provide to receive DSNAP benefits?

    • Name, Social Security Number and Date of Birth for each household member
    • Current address and parish of household
    • Monthly income for each household member
    • All liquid assets for each household member (cash on hand, checking, savings)
    Where can I find information about DSNAP locations?

    All DSNAP updates will be posted online at dcfs.la.gov and on the DCFS Facebook page.

    Business Recovery Resources

    The U.S. Small Business Administration, Louisiana Economic Development and Louisiana Small Business Development Centers are partnering to provide a wide range of services to businesses impacted by the severe storms and flooding at Business Recovery Centers opening in areas affected.

    SBA representatives will provide information on disaster loans to help finance recovery and explain the application process. LSBDC consultants at the center will provide provide program information, answer questions and help businesses apply for this much needed financial help.

    The Louisiana Department of Economic Development has set up a resource page with more information for businesses affected by the flooding, including the locations of Business Recovery Centers currently open. Click here to visit their Flood Recovery Assistance page.

    Other Helpful Information

    For the most up-to-date information on road closures in Louisiana:

    Visit 511la.org
    Dial 511

    To register for disaster unemployment assistance, you must register by September 15, 2016 and must be unemployed as of August 11, 2016:

    Visit laworks.net
    Dial 1-866-783-5567

    Other numbers you might find helpful:

    Pet Rescue/Triage: 225-952-8168
    Register for free home cleanup assistance: 1-800-451-1954
    To find out if your loved one is in a state-run shelter: 225-219-5452
    To find out if your loved one is in a Red Cross shelter: 1-866-438-4636