- Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh honoured by Managing Intellectual Property as both the "Canadian Specialty IP Firm of the Year" and the "Canadian Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year"
- March 22, 2016
- Law Firm: Smart Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh - Ottawa Office
- Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is proud to have been recognized with two prestigious awards by the UK publication Managing Intellectual Property (MIP). The firm was chosen as the 2016 Canadian Specialty IP Firm of the Year and as the Canadian Trademark Contentious Firm of the Year.
The awards were presented at MIP's 2016 North America Awards ceremony, held on March 17th, 2016 in Washington, D.C. The ceremony recognizes excellence in the global IP industry and was attended by IP practitioners from across Canada and the United States.
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh has long been recognized by MIP as a leader in Canadian IP law.
Keltie Sim Luft, Chair of Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh said “We are delighted to be honoured once again by Managing Intellectual Property. We are very proud of this award, and it is especially gratifying as we have been investing heavily to ensure that we continue to provide and support clients with innovative Canadian IP solutions and services that are second to none. Whether we are successfully handling “bet the company” IP litigation in Canada, or cost-effectively acting as a trusted advisor in Canada by managing valuable IP portfolios on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses and foreign associate law firms, our goal is to elevate even further our standard of service for our clients from around the world. We certainly won’t be resting on our laurels.”
Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh has also been honoured in 2016 by a number of other prestigious awards as Canada’s leader in IP law, including:
- Chambers Global named Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh as a leading/Band 1 firm in Intellectual Property Law and said that “The lawyers are extremely smart and hardworking”. No other Canadian-only IP firm received this honour.
- For the second consecutive year in a row, Benchmark Canada named Smart & Biggar as the “Canadian IP Litigation Firm of the Year”.
- World Trademark Review 1000-The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals once again bestowed their highest ranking upon the firm and stated that Smart & Biggar/Fetherstonhaugh is home to “brilliant lawyers who have a range of skills” and “has done much to help shape the trademark landscape through the ground-breaking cases it has brought before the Federal Court and the Supreme Court.”
MIP was founded in 1990 and is now firmly established as the leading international magazine for IP owners.