- China Establishes Courts Specialising in Intellectual Property Law
- July 1, 2015
- Law Firm: Withers Bergman LLP - New Haven Office
- Between November and December 2014, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou courts specialising in intellectual property law initiated their activities.
The specialist courts will deliberate on:
- Civil and administrative cases on patents, new plant varieties, semiconductor layout designs, trade secrets, software and technology;
- Administrative cases on copyrights, trademarks and unfair competition; and
- Civil cases on well-known trademarks.
Judges will be chosen from among those specialising in intellectual property law for over six years. They should have a law degree and should be Senior judges. The court in Beijing will also have certain 'technology experts', who will help in deciding technology-based cases; their specific role is, however, unclear.