- Recast of the Modernized Customs Code to establish a Union Customs Code
- April 11, 2012
- Law Firm: Crowell Moring LLP - Washington Office
On 20 February 2012, the European Commission proposed a recast of the Regulation establishing the Modernized Customs Code (MCC-Reg. (EU) 450/2008) to establish a Union Customs Code. The MCC Regulation was adopted and entered into force in 2008 but was not yet in application. The latest legal date for its implementation was 24 June 2013.
The recast is due to the following reasons:
- The new customs IT systems cannot be introduced within 2013
- The need to align the MCC and the related implementing provisions to the Lisbon Treaty
- The need to adjust some provisions of the MCC because of the evolution of the relevant EU legislation (e.g. transport safety and security) or the actual functioning of customs procedures (e.g. temporary storage)