- Original Documents Required for Work Permit Applications
- May 12, 2015
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
- Work permit applicants must now submit original documents with their application fee to the Work Permit Division of the Ministry of National Security following the mandatory online application process. Copies of certain documents are no longer accepted due to reports of submission of false documents in support of work permit applications.
The following original documents must be submitted:
- Cover letter signed by the Trinidadian employer;
- Signature pages of the application forms signed by the applicant and Trinidadian employer;
- Two signed character reference letters from the applicant (generally from previous employers and/or reputable individuals);
- Notarized copies of academic and professional qualifications;
- Police clearance certificate from the applicant’s country of origin or place of residence for the past five years; and
- Proof that the employer advertised the job vacancy in Trinidad and Tobago.
Foreign nationals will be able to have their original documents returned to them.
What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals
Employers will need to allow additional time in the work permit process for sending original documents to Trinidad and Tobago and presenting them to the Work Permit Division of the Ministry of National Security.