- Minimum Wage Levels Increased
- July 20, 2016
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
Minimum wages were increased in different economic sectors on April 1, 2016, and are effective immediately and retrospectively. The official publication of these amounts is forthcoming and the increases are subject to final determination by the government.
The following are the new monthly minimum wages in key industries:
- Agriculture, livestock, hunting and forestry: 3,298 meticais (an increase of 3.6% percent);
- Manufacturing sector: 5,200 meticais (an increase of 8%);
- Non-financial services: 5,050 meticais (an increase of 8%);
- Financial services: 8,750 meticais (an increase of 8.7%); and
- Microfinance, microinsurance and other auxiliary financial activities sectors: 8,400 meticais (an increase of 7.79%).
Employers should work with their administrative departments to ensure all employees are paid at least the new monthly minimum wage.