- Residence and Work Permit Approvals Delayed
- July 20, 2016
- Law Firm: Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen Loewy LLP - New York Office
Residence permit applicants should expect delayed approvals due to the following issues at the Foreigners’ Office of Immigration, which issues residence permits:
- The Assistant Director of the Foreigners’ Office of Immigration is on temporary leave until May 10, 2016;
- Recent staffing changes; and
- An ongoing internal audit.
Additionally, new work permit rule interpretations are expected at the Ministry of Labor as a new Chief of the Work Permit Department was appointed at the end of February.
What This Means for Employers and Foreign Nationals
Employers should account for potential delayed start dates.
Residence and work permit applicants should work with their immigration professionals to submit their applications as soon as possible to account for delays at both government offices.