- Conroy Simberg Launches Florida Cannabis Law Division
- November 8, 2017
Conroy Simberg, a leading insurance defense firm, has launched a cannabis law division that bolsters the firm’s Florida reach and deep experience providing legal services to business owners, insurance companies, and healthcare professionals.
Economists believe the legal cannabis markets in the United States will grow 700 percent during the next five years with a national market potential of $10.2 billion. Florida Governor Rick Scott recently signed the bill into law that implements and expands the state’s medical marijuana constitutional amendment passed by voters last year for qualified patients with specific debilitating medical conditions. According to the Florida Department of Health, the number of licensed growers has increased to 12 with 7 more to be approved in October. Officials also stated that there are now more than 950 doctors qualified to recommend medical marijuana to their patients who meet the criteria.
Conroy Simberg Managing Partner Bruce Simberg stated that the insurance defense needs for the cannabis industry and the associated businesses could be tremendous.
“For example, insurance coverage requirements for a dispensary could include general commercial liability, workers’ compensation, premises liability, crop insurance, advertising injuries, business interruption, products liability, business owner’s policy (BOP) coverage, automobile and trucking, security and cyber liability (hacking confidential patient information),” he said.
Conroy Simberg’s firm-wide capabilities for the cannabis marketplace also include:
• Commercial and business litigation of all varieties
• Professional liability and medical malpractice
• Products liability and packaging standards
• Appellate strategies and strategic advocacy
• Licensing applications and due diligence
• Trademark and copyright registration and litigation
• Real estate litigation and transactional services
• Negotiation and drafting of leases, vendor contracts, loans, licensing/distribution agreements, non-compete and confidentiality agreements
• Municipal and governmental litigation and administrative processes
• Trade practices and consumer protection matters
• Business formation, corporate governance and compliance
• Employment litigation and consultation
• Mediation, arbitration, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution
• Subrogation and Recovery
About Conroy Simberg
Conroy Simberg is a leading insurance defense firm with 150 skilled attorneys providing a diverse range of legal services to insurance companies, self-insured organizations, businesses and professionals operating across the region and throughout the nation. For more information, please visit: www.conroysimberg.com.