• Eleven People Suffer from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Jersey City
  • October 27, 2017
  • Eleven individuals sustained carbon monoxide poisoning on Thursday morning at an apartment building in Jersey City, New Jersey. A firefighter checked the levels of one resident’s apartment, stating that the levels were not too high. Soon afterward, though, officials urged the resident to leave. Six individuals, who were exposed to the potentially lethal gas, were in critical condition, including a pregnant woman, and three remain in critical condition. A city firefighter was among the carbon monoxide poisoning victims. Apparently, the Clifton, New Jersey-based management company who owns the building and over 100 others recently received several complaints regarding unsanitary conditions in the apartment building and 1400 code violations from the city.

    Carbon monoxide gas that permeates a building or residence may cause illnesses or dangerous medical complications, including fatalities, for anyone exposed to it. In some cases, the property owner may be at fault if the building is poorly maintained or broken equipment fails to be fixed or replaced. Property or business owners are required to ensure their buildings are safe and free from hazards that could cause personal injuries to unsuspecting visitors or tenants.

    If you or your loved ones sustained injuries or health problems due to a property owner’s negligence, contact our New Jersey premises liability lawyers at Eichen Crutchlow Zaslow & McElroy, LLP at 732-777-0100. Contact us online or visit our offices in Edison, Red Bank, or Toms River, New Jersey. We represent clients throughout New Jersey.