- Zimbabwean Exemption Permits Submission Deadline Extended
- December 1, 2017
Due to the high demand for the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit program, the Department of Home Affairs has extended the date by which documentation and biometrics need to be completed to January 31, 2018.
Due to the high demand for the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit (ZEP) program, the Department of Home Affairs has extended the date by which documentation and biometrics need to be completed from December 31, 2017 to January 31, 2018.
A closer look
• Online application deadline unchanged. The deadline for submitting online applications is still November 30, 2017.
• ZEP Permit duration. ZEP permits will be issued for a maximum period of four years, effective January 1, 2018 and expiring December 31, 2021, notwithstanding the date of issue.
• End of ZEP program. The Department of Home Affairs expects to complete the program by the end of September 2018, including finalizing adjudications and issuing new permits.
• Impact. Foreign nationals currently under Zimbabwean Special Permit (ZSP) visas should ensure that their online application forms have been completed and submitted, that they have paid the relevant Visa Facilitation Service Fees, and that they have booked an appointment by November 30, 2017 where they will submit documentation and complete biometrics.
Following the Department of Home Affairs’ announcement that the ZSP will close by the end of 2017, the Department of Home Affairs introduced the ZEP for Zimbabwean nationals who intend to work, study or conduct business in South Africa.
The ZEP is meant to fill an interim period between the phasing out of the ZSP visa and when Zimbabwean nationals will be required to apply for mainstream South African permits.