- New Regulations for Quebec’s Permanent Residence Programs
- April 23, 2018
The Quebec government has published regulations affecting certain foreign nationals submitting permanent residence applications using Quebec Selection Certificates (CSQs) and the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP).
CSQ application changes
• Background. The government of Quebec has the right to select immigrants to become permanent residents in the province. The selection process varies based on the category of application. Once selected by the government, the applicant is issued a CSQ and can apply for permanent residence with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
• New cap on Skilled Worker stream.
o The Quebec government is limited to receiving a maximum of 5,000 CSQs under the Skilled Worker stream between April 1 and August 15, 2018. This quota does not affect those who qualify under the Quebec Experience stream (PEQ).
o Foreign nationals who meet the below criteria can submit an application for permanent residence under the Skilled Worker stream at any time:
Have a valid job offer from a Quebec employer; or
Are a temporary resident of Quebec and meet the criteria under the Skilled Worker stream.
o Impact. The cap makes it more difficult for applicants who are not already in Quebec or those who do not qualify under the PEQ stream (which requires an advanced knowledge of French) to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
• Closed streams. The Quebec government is not accepting applications from April 1, 2018 through August 15, 2018 for the following categories:
o Immigrant Investor Program;
o Entrepreneurs Program; and
o Self-Employed Workers Program.
• Reason for closure. The Quebec government is modernizing the immigration system and accepting only select foreign nationals who the government considers have the best chances of integrating into the Quebec labor market.
• Impact. Foreign nationals who are only eligible to apply under streams that are closed at this time will need to wait for these programs to reopen until August 16, 2018, at the earliest, unless they qualify for an exception, as listed above.
Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
• Program updates. When the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP) program reopens, the eligibility requirements will include:
o Net assets of at least CAD 2 million (previously CAD 1.6 million); and
o An investment of CAD 1.2 million (previously CAD 800,000).
A financing option will be available for investors to assist them in meeting the investment requirements; the details of this option are expected to be released later this month.
• Impact. When the QIIP reopens, there will be fewer options for investors to seek permanent residence in Canada.
• Background. The QIIP was introduced in 1986 and allows qualified investors to obtain permanent residence by making an investment in Quebec through an authorized financial intermediary.
Looking aheadFragomen will report on further details on the QIIP changes when they are available.