- FirstNet Update
- November 23, 2017 | Authors: Kathleen M. Slattery; C. Douglas Jarrett; Gregory E. Kunkle; Timothy A. Doughty; Thomas B. Magee; Michael T. N. Fitch; Tracy P. Marshall; Albert J. Catalano; Wesley K. Wright
- Law Firms: Keller and Heckman LLP - Washington Office; Keller and Heckman LLP - Washington Office; Keller and Heckman LLP - Washington Office
The House Communications and Technology Subcommittee held a hearing last week to discuss issues related to the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet). As of today, 30 of the 56 U.S. states and territories have opted in to FirstNet’s plan for a public safety broadband network for first responders. Several states – including California – are considering whether to opt-in or opt-out to the proposed plan. There are concerns associated with opting in and accepting the FirstNet/AT&T plan as well as opting out. For instance, Rep. Anna Eshoo (D., CA) said at the hearing that California was told it could cost the state as much as $15 billion if it opts out of the FirstNet network and its stand-alone network fails. For more information, please contact Al Catalano ([email protected]; 202.434.4207).