We are not like the “TV commercial attorneys”. This is not meant to disparage the personal injury, disability or workers’ compensation attorneys who advertise on television, but we are in a completely different business than those lawyers. By all means, if you are hurt in an automobile accident, give us a call. We would be happy to refer you to an attorney who handles those matters. We, however, will not be the attorneys representing you in those cases.
Our Practice Areas
So, if we are not suing for injuries, what is it we do as attorneys? The simple answer is that we represent privately held businesses and families. The more detailed answer is that we do all of the below, in addition to nearly any other small business or family matter:
- Civil Litigation – This may sound contrary to the opening tone of this article, as personal injury law suits are within the scope of “Civil Litigation”. However, the civil litigation that we are routinely involved with usually involves a dispute over a business transaction or a contractual relationship. This involves disputes between business partners, disputes related to real estate matters, the collection of business debts, disputes related to decedents’ estates in Probate, etc. In the context of litigation, the attorneys of Penzien & McBride, PLLC have appeared at all levels of the US and Michigan Court systems. We have tried cases throughout the State of Michigan and have appeared many times before the Michigan Court of Appeals and successfully argued cases before the Michigan Supreme Court. In terms of Federal Court, the attorneys of Penzien & McBride are admitted in the Eastern District of Michigan, the Federal Courts of Appeal in Cincinnati and Philadelphia and the United States Supreme Court.
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions – We represent both landlords and tenants in negotiations of leases of commercial and industrial properties. Penzien & McBride, PLLC also has a great deal of experience in representing buyers and sellers of commercial and industrial real estate. We also have experience in helping clients through the zoning process for real estate as the attorneys of Penzien & McBride, PLLC include a current member of a local municipality’s Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Buying/Selling Businesses – There is a lot more to buying or selling a privately held business than deciding on value. The actual net proceeds (or net cost) of the transaction can be significantly altered by the tax structure of the deal, the assets and liabilities excluded from the deal and the assumption of risk (if any) by the buyers. Our attorneys have been involved in all aspects of these transactions for decades, and are familiar with the details that can make or break a transaction.
- Estate Planning and Probate – Whether an estate plan requires complex tax strategies, succession planning for family businesses, the protection of disabled children, allocating assets among the children of blended marriages, or just a simple Will, the attorneys of Penzien & McBride, PLLC have been involved in estate planning of all levels of complexity for decades. We also have extensive knowledge of the Probate process, whether it involves the peaceful transfer of assets or complex litigation over Probate matters. The attorneys of Penzien & McBride, PLLC have successfully argued complex Probate cases in front of the Michigan Supreme Court.
- IRS or Other Tax Litigation – Penzien & McBride, PLLC has extensive experience dealing with all aspects of tax disputes with the IRS and other taxing authorities. Our attorneys include a CPA with years of practice in the tax industry. We have successfully represented taxpayers before the United States Tax Court, the Michigan Tax Tribunal and other administrative tax courts.
- Business General Counsel – Many of the business clients of Penzien & McBride, PLLC use the firm in the same manner that larger businesses use an in house General Counsel. Our attorneys are available to look over supplier contracts, to answer questions regarding employment matters, and to address any other legal needs of privately held businesses.
Let us Help You
The Macomb County based attorneys of Penzien & McBride, PLLC have a great deal of experience with matters outside of the practice of law which we feel make us more attuned to the needs of most business owners and families. This experience includes:
- Serving on the boards (or as officers) of non-profit organizations, fraternal organizations and professional organizations.
- Serving as corporate executives and officers of for-profit enterprises.
- Experience working in other industries such as public accounting, manufacturing and the medical field.
For more information on a particular topic peruse the areas of practice section of our website. If you have a specific questions about your case or need a referral to a competent and experienced attorney for some area of the law that we do not handle contact us by e-mail or telephone at (586) 464-1900