- Override of Paid Sick Leave Bill Likely in Next Session – 4 Things To Do Now to Prepare
- August 11, 2017
Although Governor Hogan vetoed the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act (HB1/SB230) which would have required employers with over 14 employees to provide paid sick and safe leave, it is expected that the legislature will override the Governor’s veto at the beginning of the new legislative session in January.
In order to get ready for implementation of this legislation employers should be taking steps now to avoid costly compliance issues should the Act take effect early next year.
- Employers should be comparing their existing paid leave policies, if any, to the requirements of the Act. The general requirements of the Act may be found HERE.
- Employers should be ensuring that their time keeping systems have the capability of tracking the accrual of paid leave.
- Employers should be ensuring that existing leave policies allow for the use of paid leave in all the situations contemplated by the Act.
- Employers who do not currently have an existing paid leave policy should be developing one in case implementation becomes necessary early next year.