Areas of Practice
Mr. Hale specializes in commercial litigation and government contracts, with an emphasis on general business disputes, intellectual property, and investigations.
In the general business context, Mr. Hale has represented businesses and individuals in litigation and arbitrations related to contractual disputes, business torts, and trade secrets claims. He has significant experience in drafting and opposing pleadings and motions, propounding and responding to discovery, fact gathering and analysis, and witness consultation.
In the government contracts area, Mr. Hale has counseled clients in the general commercial, defense, and healthcare industries on a wide variety of government contracting issues, including bid protests, the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), the Contract Disputes Act (CDA), the False Claims Act (FCA), and other state and federal laws and regulations.
He is also an editor of the 2016 Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook (Thomson Reuters), an annual publication addressing cloud computing issues and solutions for commercial and government end users and suppliers.
•Government Contracts, Legal 500, 2015
•Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2009, 2010
Publications & News
•Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook, 2015 Edition
Thomson Reuters, June 2015
•Best Practices For Corporate Internal Investigations
Law360, March 11, 2014
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Blog Posts
• Foggy on the Cloud? September 21, 2015
• Recent Remarks By Officials Reinforce DOJ's Focus On Criminal Fraud Investigations And Prosecutions Of Culpable Individuals, September 29, 2014
• Proceed with Caution: D.C. District Court Says Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine Do Not Survive Internal Fraud Investigation Conducted by Non-Attorneys, March 25, 2014
• GAO Reports FY 2013 Bid Protest Statistics, January 21, 2014
• Non-Protestable Task Order Procurement Decision Shuts Out Incumbent Contractor, October 23, 2013
• Avoiding Embarrassment In Contract Disputes Act Litigation: Routine vs. Non-Routine Requests For Payment, May 14, 2012
• New Personal Conflict Of Interest Rules For Contractors, November 16, 2011
• Trimming the Fat in Government Subcontracts -- Recognizing What Really Needs to Be Flowed Down by the Prime, August 12, 2009
•Cloud Computing Legal Deskbook
•Member, State Bar of California
•Member, American Bar Association
•Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association