Lawyers: Are You Guilty of Missing Out on These Facebook Opportunities?
Some of the best free promotion for your brand can be found on social media. Anyone can create a business page on Facebook, and it is free to do. Instead of focusing on what to post on Facebook, we are going to talk about how to truly focus on optimizing the opportunities found on the layout of your Facebook page to best support your brand.
Let’s begin analyzing the layout of your Facebook business page from top to bottom:
The best image size for your profile picture is 180px x 180px. Make sure your picture is clear and any writing is easy to read. We recommend that you use your law firm’s logo in this space since the image appears right above your name. This easily assimilates your logo to your law firm’s name.
The cover photo for your Facebook image should be 828px x 315px with a maximum file size of 100kb. The minimum size for your Facebook cover photo is 399px x 150px. We recommend that you use a landscape photo from your website that includes your marketing message. You want people to quickly and visually understand who you are, what you do, and how you can help them.
Your Business Name should be the full name of your firm. We do not recommend that you try to use keywords that you are trying to optimize for. You wouldn’t introduce yourself at a party as “New York City Personal Injury Lawyer,” would you? Remember, social media is about expanding your brand, and your brand is your firm name, not what you do.
We recommend that you try to match the username to the name of your firm’s Twitter account. This is done for branding purposes, so everyone will know that you are @JohnDoeLaw on Facebook and Twitter. People can cite you in their Facebook posts by using @JohnDoeLaw and it will automatically link to your Facebook page.
Call to Action Button
The Call to Action button allows the user to interact and learn more about you. What do you want people to do when they get to your page if they want more information?
The Call to Action button options are:
- Book Now
- Call Now
- Contact Us
- Send Message
- Use App
- Play Game
- Shop Now
- Sign Up
- Watch Video
- Send Email
- Learn More
We recommend that you select one of the following:
- Call Now – Enter your phone number and people can call you with a click of the button. This is great for capturing mobile Facebook users.
- Contact Us – Send users directly to the contact form on your website to try to capture leads. This method is geared more toward desktop users.
- Learn More – Think of this as the “soft-sell” method. You will probably send them to your Firm Profile or Attorney Profile on your website (if you are a sole practitioner) so that users can learn more about your firm and the services you provide. We recommend that you do not link to your homepage, as there will already be a link to it as described in the Page Info section below.
You can add, remove, or reorder the tabs that appear on the left side of your page. However, you cannot remove or reorder the Home or About tabs, which will always appear in the first and second positions, respectively.
This is a perfect opportunity to showcase the most important items on your page. We recommend that you should order your tabs as follows:
Showcase your services and let people know what you can offer them. This section only shows up to three services on your Facebook page, so you should choose the top three areas of practice that you want to feature on your page. You can add them in any order, add more than three, and reorder them based on your needs. We recommend that the services you choose to feature on your Facebook page should reinforce your marketing message. We also recommend that each service should have its own distinct image that is relative to the service you are describing. If you represent people injured in car accidents, use a car accident page. But don’t use that same image if you represent people in divorce cases.
You should welcome reviews on your Facebook page, much as you would on your Google My Business page. According to a 2015 study by Reviewtrackers.com, more than 80 percent of consumers check lawyer reviews as their first step in finding an attorney.
Our blog has plenty of posts about the importance of reviews, including Brian Veeder’s three-part series on “Making Online Reviews Work for You.”
About (Page Info)
When you first click on the About tab, it will take you to an overview of your firm. Click on the “Page Info” link, click “Edit Page Info,” and then click on the “Edit” link that appears to the right to edit the field you want to update. We recommend that you should try to complete this section as fully as possible.
- Select “Companies & Organizations”
- Select “Legal/Law”
- Name – Your Law Firm Name
- Type the word “law” to bring up the list of legal subcategories
- Law Practice – Use this if your area of practice is not listed below
- Bankruptcy Lawyer
- Copyright Lawyer
- Corporate Lawyer
- Criminal Lawyer
- Divorce & Family Lawyer
- Employment Lawyer
- Estate Lawyer
- Governmental Law
- Juvenile Law
- Labor & Employment Law
- Malpractice Law
- Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law
- Property Law
- Real Estate Lawyer
- Wills & Estate Lawyer
- Type the word “law” to bring up the list of legal subcategories
- Username – We discussed this above.
- Address – Enter your street address and zip code in the fields below. The city will auto-populate and the map will appear. Check “Show map and check-ins on the Page.”
- Start Date – This field is optional.
- Hours — Select “Open on selected hours” and enter your office hours for the days of the week. Check the days you want to add the time to. If you are closed on certain days (e.g., Saturdays & Sundays), do not add any time on those days.
- Short Description –This is a brief summary of your page. The limit is 155 characters.
- Impressum – This field is optional, and does not appear on your page.
- Long Description – This description allows you to provide more information about your business, brand or organization. Include details such as your background, mission or awards.
- Mission – This field is optional, and does not appear on your page.
- Founded – Enter the date your law firm was founded.
- Awards – Add any highlights you want to showcase.
- Products – Here is where you can list your areas of practice. This is an important section as it provides more detail about the services you provide.
- Phone – Enter your phone number in the field below.
- Email – Enter your email address in the field below.
- Website – Enter your website URL in the field below.
Verify Your Facebook Page
To let people know that your Facebook page accurately represents your brand, you should verify your Facebook page. This will give you a gray verification badge (a gray circle with a checkmark in it).
Follow these steps to verify your page:
- Click SETTINGS at the top of your page.
- From GENERAL, click PAGE VERIFICATION.
- Click VERIFY THIS PAGE, then click GET STARTED.
- Enter a publicly listed phone number for your business, your country, and language.
- Click CALL ME NOW to allow Facebook to call you with a verification code.
- Enter the 4-digit verification code and click CONTINUE.
- Your Facebook page is now verified!
Make your Facebook profile work for you!
By providing as much information as possible about your firm, you allow users to learn more about you, which helps them in their decision-making process. Take advantage of these simple opportunities on Facebook today! Similar opportunities can be found on LinkedIn and Twitter – read about these next.