Chad N. Dunigan is a partner with Koeller, Nebeker, Carlson & Haluck, LLP and is licensed to practice before all Courts in the States of California, Nevada, and Florida. He is a member of the firm’s construction, business litigation, and environmental practice groups.
Mr. Dunigan specializes in construction law, including all areas of public and private contracting, bidding and protest issues, mechanics' liens, public and private stop notices, licensing and surety disputes. As an advocate, Mr. Dunigan has represented owners, general contractors, and design professionals in connection with a wide variety of public works and private construction projects. Mr. Dunigan serves as an advocate to his clients in connection with major construction claims, including prosecuting and defending against claims of defects, delay, acceleration, escalation, default termination and surety disputes, mechanic’s liens, and stop notice remedies.
Mr. Dunigan often counsels his clients on the effective management and evaluation of the wide array of documents generated and exchanged during the course of construction of a complex project. This includes assisting clients in the presentation of claims, including those arising from denied change order requests and/or claims for extra-contractual work. As insurance and bonds often play a vital role in most construction disputes, Mr. Dunigan has considerable experience handling insurance coverage claims, including errors and omissions, builder’s risk, environmental contamination, and general liability.
In addition, Mr. Dunigan frequently handles matters associated with a wide variety of environmental laws, including hazardous substance laws (e.g. CERCLA and Superfund) and claims of bodily injury or property damage caused by exposure to known contaminants.
Mr. Dunigan has significant trial experience, having prepared for and conducted numerous trials and arbitrations. He is also highly experienced in Alternative Dispute Resolution efforts, such as mediations, settlement conferences, and non-binding arbitrations.
When away from work, he enjoys spending time with his wife and four children and keeping up with his triathlon training schedule.
• Judge Pro Tem for El Dorado Superior Court of California
Publications and Speaking Engagements
• Sacramento Lawyer, Sacramento County Bar Association Magazine - "Construction Defect Litigation Issues: A Round Table Discussion," Panelist (July/August 2009).
• MC Consultants Annual Sacramento Construction Defect Law Seminar - "New Statutory and Case Law Affecting Construction Defect Litigation," Panelist (April 28, 2010).
• 8th Annual East Region Construction Litigation & Insurance Coverage Conference - "Winning or Losing? – Choosing and Retaining the Right Expert Consultants," Panelist (June 25-27, 2014)
• Florida Construction Law Seminar - "Navigating the Minefields of the Tripartite Relationship," Panelist (June 11, 2015)
• CLM & Business Insurance National Construction Conference - "Southeast - There's Nothing Wrong with the Construction, But It's Still YOUR FAULT!" Panelist (October 9-11, 2017)
• CLM Webinar Presentation - "Construction Claims - Significant Construction Defect Litigation and CD Coverage Decisions from 2017," Panelist (January 11, 2018)• CLM & Business Insurance Construction Conference - “Extrapolation: You’re Asking Me To Assume What?” Panelist (September 26-28, 2018)
• Orange County (Florida) Bar Association