James Gillenwater has represented clients such as Fortune 500 companies, world leaders, and Olympians in high-stakes international disputes, including trials, arbitrations, and complex internal investigations. His representative experience spans product liability cases, business disputes, FCPA and tax investigations, and regulatory actions such as OFAC sanctions. James’s international representations focus on Latin America, and have involved Argentina, Bolivia, China, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, South Korea, Switzerland, and Venezuela.
James has wide-ranging motion practice experience and has authored briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court, federal appellate and district courts, state courts, and a variety of government agencies. He has argued before state and federal courts across the country, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
• Won a month-long trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida representing the former president and defense minister of a Latin American country.°
• Obtained dismissal of civil RICO and tort claims against a Latin American bank and its directors.°
• Achieved resolution of a series of mass tort cases for an international energy company.°
• Won dismissal of a federal securities fraud action against a major telecommunications company.°
• Navigated a DOJ Swiss bank investigation, ensuring the non-prosecution of a former executive.°
• Secured multiple OFAC sanctions delistings.°
• First-chaired a criminal trial, winning acquittal on all counts.°
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Gillenwater prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, P.A.
Recognition & Leadership
Awards & Accolades
• Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2015
Professional & Community Involvement
• World Rugby Judicial Panelist, 2017-2018
• Athlete Representative, United States Olympic Committee Athletes’ Advisory Council, 2010-2016
• United States National Rugby 7s Team
- Captain, 2009
- Player, 2006-2009
• Co-Founder, United States Rugby Players Association, 2016
• Albert Schweitzer Fellow, Durham, North Carolina, 2010-2011
• Fulbright Scholar, English Teaching Assistant, La Universidad Nacional de la Pampa, Santa Rosa, Argentina, 2007
Clerkships• Hon. Robert N. Chatigny, U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut, 2012-2013