William E. Keenen focuses his practice on trust and estate matters, including estate planning for high-net-worth individuals and families. He is experienced in the areas of multigenerational wealth transfer, life insurance, post-mortem tax and pre-immigration planning, and cross-border investment. William’s practice also includes the negotiation and preparation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
In addition, William counsels clients with respect to the day-to-day administration of trusts and estates, and assists corporate and individual fiduciaries as well as beneficiaries in litigated trust and probate matters.
William has represented clients in tax controversies and other tax matters before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including matters involving U.S. income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer (GST) tax, and offshore voluntary disclosure, issues. William has written about and lectured on various transfer tax topics affecting high-net-worth individuals and their families, including in the areas of allocations of GST exemption and the application of the U.S. estate and gift tax law to transfers of property by citizens and non-citizens of the U.S.
• Multigenerational wealth transfer planning
• Estate, gift and GST tax matters and controversies before the IRS
• International estate planning
• Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
• Trust and estate administration and litigation
• Business succession planning
Recognition & Leadership
Professional & Community Involvement
• Participant, Leadership Miami, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, 2018-Present
• Member, Brickell Avenue Literary Society, 2018-Present
• Member, The Grand Finale Steering Committee, Miami City Ballet, 2018-Present
• Member, Young Professionals (formerly the Upper Room), Miami City Ballet, 2017-Present
• Graduate (Class II), Florida Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), 2017
• Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP), Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Miami Branch, 2018-Present (Technician Member, 2014-2018)
• Participant, OutLeadership’s OutNEXT Summit, 2016
• Mentor, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami, School to Work Program, 2014-2016
• Member, Tax Section of The Florida Bar, 2012-Present
• Tax Law Clerk, Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc., 2012