- Mine Safety Agency Releases Accident Alert for Surface Trucks in Metal, Nonmetal Mining Industry
- May 2, 2017 | Author: Joseph S. Dreesen
- Law Firm: Jackson Lewis P.C. - Rapid City Office
The Mine Health and Safety Administration has released a serious accident alert in the wake of an accident involving a haul truck driver in the metal and nonmetal mine industry.
The operator of a loaded haul truck attempting to turn around on a haul road after missing a turn off collided with a pickup. The pickup truck operator suffered minor injuries and was taken to the hospital for further evaluation.
MSHA’s best practices to avoid such accidents include:
- Always maintain control of self-propelled mobile equipment when it’s in motion;
- Provide and maintain traffic controls to ensure safe movement of self-propelled mobile equipment;
- Maintain safe travel distances between mobile equipment on haulage roads; and
- Ensure all persons are trained to recognize workplace hazards, specifically the limited visibility and blind areas inherent to operation of large equipment and the hazard of mobile equipment traveling near them.