- 4.9/5.0 (16 reviews)
Brian J. Markowitz practices in the area of commercial litigation with a concentration in construction law. Mr. Markowitz represents owners, developers, construction managers, general contractors and design professionals in construction, real estate, transactional, commercial litigation and professional responsibility/malpractice matters in the federal and state courts of New York and New Jersey and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He also assists clients in contract drafting and negotiation, and with entering into various license agreements. Mr. Markowitz has litigated disputes involving both private and public mechanic's liens, trust fund claims, delay claims, surety bond claims, change orders, defaults, terminations and design defects and has worked with clients to develop strategies to minimize the costs and time of e-discovery preservation and collection.
Mr. Markowitz was selected as a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine in 2011 and 2012, an award given to only the top 2.5 percent of up-and-coming attorneys in any state. He is also the drafter of New York Lien Law Section 44-b, dealing with necessary parties to a public improvement mechanic's lien foreclosure action.
Mr. Markowitz is a 2001 graduate of Brooklyn Law School and a graduate of the State University of New York at Oneonta.
Areas of Practice
· Commercial Litigation
· Construction Law
· Appellate Practice
· Association of the Bar of the City of New York
· Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
· Duane Morris LLP
- Associate, 2008-present
· Thelen LLP (formerly Brown Raysman Millstein Felder & Steiner LLP, formerly Ross & Cohen LLP)
- Associate, 2004-2008
· New York City Law Department
- Office of the Corporation Counsel
-- Assistant Corporation Counsel, Tax and Bankruptcy Litigation Division, 2003-2004
-- Assistant Corporation Counsel, Commercial and Real Estate Litigation Division, 2001-2003
-- Senior Student Legal Specialist, Commercial and Real Estate Litigation Division, 1998-2001
· New York Paralegal School
- Professor, 2002-2004
Honors And Awards
· Selected as a New York Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2011 and 2012
· Co-author, "Avoiding Sanctions over Duty to Preserve Evidence," New York Law Journal, April 8, 2010
· Co-author, "Claims for Architect's Failure to Achieve Specific Contractual Results Limited to Three-Year Malpractice Period," New York Real Estate Journal, September 2005
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.