Susan B. Grabarsky represents individual and group policyholders in disability, health, property, casualty, and business insurance bad faith actions. Ms. Grabarsky also handles cases on behalf of patients who have been subjected to unreasonable delay in medical treatment or denial of authorization for specialized surgical procedures. Ms. Grabarsky's expertise is based on her nine years of experience as a cost-containment analyst for major insurance companies and large self-insured employers in California. While attending law school on scholarships, she worked full-time in the insurance industry. She recognized the myriad of ways the claims process can go wrong. She handled medical claim reviews, property and casualty claim valuations, and attended hearings on behalf of insurance carriers. Early in her legal career, she worked for insurance defense firms handling property, casualty and medical malpractice cases.
After her first Superior Court jury trial victory representing a plaintiff, she realized that her heart was not in defending big insurance companies. For nearly a decade, she has been representing policyholders exclusively in their fights to obtain wrongfully denied insurance benefits. She assures her former colleagues at the insurance companies that she sleeps better now, knowing she is working on "the right side" of battles with big insurance bureaucracy.
Ms. Grabarsky has been featured as the insurance law expert at national conferences for the disability community, has served as guest speaker on professional liability panels at law schools, and has addressed physicians and patients regarding medical insurance issues. She has lectured on medical cost-containment and disability management issues for claims professionals. She was also an Adjunct Professor of Law at her alma mater, Western State University, where she received her J.D. cum laude and was a law review editor. During law school, she had the honor of serving as a Judicial Extern for Presiding Justice David G. Sills, of the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District.
Ms. Grabarsky is admitted to practice in all California State and Federal District Courts. She is a member of the American Association for Justice, American Bar Association, The Labor and Employment Law Section of the State Bar of California, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Consumer Attorneys of California, and the Joseph B. Campbell American Inn of Court.
• Guest Speaker, Professional Liability Panels, Law Schools
• Lecturer, Medical Cost Containment and Disability Management Issues, Claims Professionals
• Adjunct Professor, Western State University
Honors and Awards
• Serving as a Judicial Extern for Presiding Justice David G. Sills, of the California Court of Appeal, Fourth District
Professional Associations and Memberships
• American Association for Justice, Member
• American Bar Association, Member
• Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Member
• Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
• State Bar of California, The Labor and Employment Law Section
•Consumer Attorneys of California, and the Joseph B. Campbell American Inn of Court
Past Employment Positions
• Insurance Companies, Cost-Containment Analyst
• California Court of Appeal, Fourth District, Presiding Justice David G. Sills, Judicial Extern
•Western State University College of Law, Adjunct Professo