Protecting your business, property and personal rights
You have the right to be secure in your property and your person. But when outside forces threaten those rights, you can trust John C. Murphy Law to be a staunch ally and advocate. Born and bred in Maryland, I have practiced civil litigation here for more than 40 years. I have represented individuals, property owners, businesses, land developers, and local government in a variety of cases and controversies affecting housing, commerce, industry and individual rights. When you retain my services, you get a reputable attorney, widely recognized as:
• Experienced — I have practiced law in Maryland since 1977, trying cases before judges and juries in state and federal court.
• Accomplished — In addition to my success in court, I am a legal authority on state land use, urban land use, historic area zoning, and eminent domain, with several published articles. From 1972 to 1977, I served as Assistant Attorney General and Counsel to the Maryland Department of State Planning. I also served as a member (1978) and chairman (1981–1985) of the board of trustees for the Maryland Environmental Trust.
• Professional — I am AV® Preeminentš Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® in recognition of my high ethical standards and professional ability.
When I undertake a case, I am determined to deliver quality legal services that lead to complete solutions for my clients' legal issues.
More than 40 years of focused civil litigation
The focus of my practice at John C. Murphy Law has been real property rights, but as a litigation lawyer, I have had many occasions to explore other areas of the law, successfully resolving civil disputes through negotiation, mediation and arbitration, or at trial in state or federal court. I am prepared to assist you on matters related to:
• Land use — In my practice, I assist property owners, developers, community organizations and neighborhood associations with compliance issues, permitting and land use variances, and represent clients before town boards, planning boards and zoning boards of appeal.
• Eminent domain/condemnation — If a government entity condemns your property through eminent domain, I defend your property rights by challenging the validity of its purported public use. At the same time, I work with reliable assessors to help you get just compensation that reflects fair market value.
• Inverse condemnation — If government activity in or around your home or business causes your property's value to drop, you may be entitled to compensation through an action for inverse condemnation.
• Civil litigation — I manage a wide variety of civil litigation matters in state and federal court, including business disputes, breach of contract, property damage, personal injury claims, insurance coverage disputes and bad faith claims, construction matters, consumer rights, and products liability.
• Historic preservation — I represent property owners, government entities, nonprofits and community associations in actions to decide whether a property should be preserved as a landmark due to its historical significance.
You can rely on my experience, knowledge and strategic skills to protect your rights. My goal is always to reach the best possible result in a cost-effective and timely manner.
Contact a highly respected Maryland attorney for your civil litigation
If you have an urgent matter that requires a legal remedy, John C. Murphy Law is prepared to help. I welcome new clients in the Baltimore area and throughout Maryland.
Specific Practice Area and Industry Group Details across multiple offices:
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.