- Repealed Michigan Helmet Law Equals More Motorcycle Accidents
- July 5, 2012 | Author: Daniel L. Buckfire
- Law Firm: Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. - Southfield Office
Two months ago Governor Rick Snyder repealed the law that required all motorcyclists in Michigan to wear helmets. Since repealing this law, making wearing a helmet optional, there have been 719 motorcyclists and their passengers involved in accidents from April 12th, 2012 until June 17th, 2012. Police did not record helmet use or non-usage in each incidence like they are supposed to, but of the 654 cases this statistic was recorded, 20% of riders were not wearing a helmet. This 20% of bikers in fact did sustain more serious serious injuries in a motorcycle accident than the 80% who did were wearing helmets.
More statistics were compiled showing the importance of wearing a helmet. These numbers are represented in the table below:
No Helmet:129 Riders
Additional Michigan motorcycle accident statistics include:
- The first month after the motorcycle helmet law repeal only 17% of motorcyclists in crashes were without helmets. This number rose to nearly 22% in the second month.
- One in five bike accidents occurred between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. - with more than 1/3 happening on weekends.
- It is estimated there will be about 30 additional motorcycle fatalities and 127 additional incapacitating injuries each year following the repeal.
Riders can sustain a number of serious injuries when in a motorcycle accident. These injuries are usually more severe when the rider is not wearing a helmet at the time of the incident. These injuries include:
- Closed Head/traumatic brain injury
- Spinal Cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Back and neck injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Burn injuries
If you, a family member, or a friend is injured in a Michigan motorcycle accident contact a lawyer immediately to find out your rights. The experienced motorcycle crash attorneys of Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. will represent injured victims under our NO FEE promise. Call our office today at (800) 606-1717 for a free consultation with one of our top rated motorcycle accident lawyers!