- Avoid Using Social Media While Personal Injury Claim in Progress
- July 26, 2011
- Law Firm: Mesriani Law Group A Professional Law Corporation - Santa Monica Office
Using any channel of social media during a personal injury case may not be a good idea at all.
According to statistics, there are at least 240 million internet users in the United States. The rise of internet causes the increase in popularity of social media all over the world and there are benefits because of this - information dissemination is faster and the world becomes smaller. However, using social media sites when your personal injury claim is still being processed by the court can put your case in jeopardy.
Insurance companies, investigators, and defense lawyers can get evidence from your social network sites accounts. An example of this is when you are claiming for injury compensations because of an accident, and you are posting or posted photographs of you having a luxurious vacation after the accident or any activities that prove your injury does not cost you at all. This can be used against you. Keep in mind that there are two considerations to certify a personal injury claim:
• Verifiability of the injuries related to accident
• Credibility of the injured individual
Remember that the legal defense group of the defendant to make a way to negate the claim or to lower the amount of the compensation demanded. For a personal injury claimant do not want to compromise the case, these are the tips he or she should do:
• If possible, suspend your use of social network sites momentarily at least while the case is on progress
• If you cannot avoid using social media channels, it is best to adjust your account’s privacy settings so that only the people you trust can see your profile
• Do not accept requests from people you do not know
• Avoid participating in any online discussions about your case like internet forums, chat rooms, email, or other mediums
The defendant’s lawyers and insurance company representatives will do their best to turn down a personal injury claim. However, a personal injury victim deserves proper compensation to sustain his or her needs due to the accident he or she incurred. Claimants should always be cautious how a case proceeding goes; he or she should always be in contact with his or her lawyer to know what to do and what not to do.