Howard practices in the areas of White Collar criminal defense, civil litigation and False Claims Act representations, primarily in federal court. He has successfully represented individuals, corporations, chief executive officers and employees of corporations both publicly and closely held, in the full range of economic and White Collar cases. He has over 30 years of experience in the White Collar field.The practice areas in which Howard has concentrated include:
• Health care (Medicare and Medicaid fraud)
• Pharmaceutical litigation
• Financial institution fraud
• Procurement fraud
• Defense contracting
• Public corruption
Our practice also includes parallel civil representations in the areas of Medicare/Medicaid fraud, Securities (SEC), Antitrust Enforcement and False Claims Act representations. Additionally, administrative proceedings arising out of criminal investigations and civil enforcement actions are also part of our full service White Collar practice.
APPROACH TO HANDLING REPRESENTATIONS
Our cases are handled from an initial subpoena or search warrant, through to a grand jury investigation, ending in the case either being dropped — our first goal, either for lack of evidence or prosecutive merit, or handled through to trial or to plea and sentencing. Civil litigation is also part of our White Collar practice and handling civil matters in the above practice areas is part of what we do on a regular basis. We also conduct internal investigations for clients.
We believe in individualized attention to our clients and focus on a quality practice, with a select member of clients given full personal attention. Our small setting allows for the utmost discretion and client confidentiality in the sensitive area of White Collar litigation. We pride ourselves in giving individual attention to each client and assisting them in getting through a very trying time in their lives.
LISTED IN FOLLOWING FOR MOST RECENT YEAR:
• Chambers, USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for White Collar Crime and Government Investigations (Band One-Top 10 White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyers in Pennsylvania)
• Pennsylvania Superlawyers (White Collar Crime)
• AV Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
• Best Lawyers in America (White Collar Crime)
• U.S. News and World Report:
--Tier One Lawyer in Criminal Defense, White Collar, for Philadelphia Region;
• Elected Member, American Law Institute
SAMPLE OF CURRENT AND RECENT PAST REPRESENTATIONS
• Acquittal of client, a practicing lawyer, of all charges in a 6-month federal Racketeering & Securities Fraud jury trial.
• CEO of Manufacturing Company - Philadelphia U.S. Attorney dismissed all charges after Federal Jury Trial in which client was tried on bank fraud charges.
• Representation of lawyers in following matters:
--Mail fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion case.
--Former Receiver for City of Harrisburg -- appointed by Governor -- following his resignation from
that post, in civil matters.
• Numerous health care companies and health care professionals in Medicare and Medicaid Fraud cases and False Claims Act cases
• CEO of Pharmaceutical Company in government investigation and parallel civil proceeding
• CEO of Defense Contracting Firm in Fraud Investigation
• Numerous executives employees of Pharmaceutical Companies in Criminal Investigation and parallel civil matters
• Individuals in tax evasion investigations
• Individual in Federal and State Corruption Investigations
• Company and Owner of a Company in Antitrust Criminal Investigation with Price Fixing and Bid Rigging
• Executive in SEC Insider Trading Investigation
• Executives of Environmental Energy Company
Prior to opening his own practice, Howard was a partner in the Litigation Department of the Philadelphia law firm Blank Rome, LLP, and served as Chairman of the Litigation Department and as a member of the firm’s Management Committee during his tenure at the firm.
Prior to that, Howard had a distinguished career as a federal prosecutor in the Philadelphia U.S. Attorney’s Office, serving as Chief of the Criminal Division — in which position he supervised all attorneys in the Criminal Division during his tenure. As a prosecutor he also served as lead trial counsel in many significant criminal prosecutions and jury trials in the areas of White Collar Crime and Police and Political Corruption. He also served as a Law Clerk to Justice Robert W. Hansen of the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
A graduate of Georgetown Law School, Howard serves as an adjunct Professor of Evidence and Trial Advocacy at Temple University Law School, and conducts training programs at law firms and government agencies for ALI-ABA in trial advocacy, deposition practice, motions and oral advocacy and evidence.
Howard is a frequent lecturer on topics relating to the criminal justice system and litigation practice. He is the author of the Deposition Guidebook (ALI-ABA 2007), as well as numerous articles relating to the field of litigation, and is a member of the Editorial Board of the Practical Litigator.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Wisconsin, 1976
- District of Columbia, 1976
- Pennsylvania, 1981
LAW: Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1976
Editor Law & Policy in International Business, the Georgetown International Law Review
UNDERGRADUATE: Northwestern University and University of Wisconsin, B.A. 1972 (With High Honors)
• Member, Criminal Law Committee of Federal Bar Association (Certificate of Recognition as Co-Chairman for seven years)
• Member, Board of Directors, Citizens Crime Commission of the Delaware Valley
• Member, Philadelphia Bar Association (Criminal Justice Section and Federal Courts Committee)
• Member, Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
• Former Member, Editorial Board, The Practical Litigator
• Conducts litigation skills training programs on behalf of ALI-CLE
Howard Bruce Klein, formerly with Blank, Rome, LLP, carries the highest legal ability rating in Martindale-Hubbell.