Jim Miles represents health care organizations, health care professionals, and private equity firms with commercial transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, equity and debt financing, joint ventures, and start-ups. He also assists with business planning and government relations. In addition, he advocates for health care providers undergoing government investigations by the Office of Inspector General, State Medicaid Fraud Control Units, and other government agencies.
Jim advises a range of health care providers, including ambulatory surgical centers, assisted living facilities, community health centers, home health agencies, hospitals, imaging centers, laboratories, pharmaceutical firms, physician practices, and skilled nursing facilities.
• Corporate formation, governance, and restructuring
• Mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships
• Health care regulatory compliance
• Government relations
• Government investigations
• Serves as general counsel to the Colorado Ambulatory Surgery Center Association (CASCA), Community Health Association of Mountain and Plains States (CHAMPS), Colorado Health Care Association (CHCA), Colorado Community Health Network (CCHN), and Pueblo Healthcare.
• Serves as co-general counsel to the Arizona Health Care Association (AHCA).
• Representation of multiple pharmaceutical firms in the sale of their stock or assets. °
• Lead counsel on multiple mergers and acquisitions of ambulatory surgery centers and skilled nursing facilities. °
• Lead counsel on private equity firm acquisitions of various health care provider organizations
• Lead regulatory and transactional counsel on mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures of hospitals, including nonprofit hospitals, for-profit hospitals, and physician-owned hospitals. °
• Representation of provider-owned Medicare Advantage (MA) plans, leading to specific knowledge of MA market dynamics, payment methodology, marketing guidelines for MA plans and in-network providers, and compliance issues. °
• Lead counsel for the sale of multiple physician groups, both single specialty and multi-specialty, to hospitals, health plans, and private equity-backed firms. °
°The above representations were handled by Mr. Miles prior to his joining Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
• Adjunct Faculty, University of Colorado School of Law, 2017-Present
• Judicial Intern, Hon. Leonard P. Plank, Colorado Court of Appeals, 1995
Recognition & Leadership
Awards & Accolades
• Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2013-2018
○ Named, "Lawyer of the Year," Health Care, Denver, 2016
• Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, “Colorado Super Lawyers,” 2016-2018
• Listed, 5280 The Denver Magazine, “Top Lawyers, Healthcare Section,” 2014-2018
• Listed, The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, 2014-2018
○ Named, "Top Healthcare Transaction Lawyer," Colorado, 2015
Professional & Community Involvement
• Colorado Bar Association Health Law Section Executive Council, 2011-2017
○ President, 2015-2016
○ Member, 2011-Present
• American Health Lawyers Association
○ Member, Post-Acute Care Practice Group, 2001-Present
- Vice Chair, 2004-2007
○ Member, Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group, 2001-Present
○ Member, Physician Organizations Practice Group, 2001-Present
○ Member, Fraud and Abuse Practice Group, 2001-Present
• Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Long Term Care Task Force
• Member, American Health Care Association, ACO Task Force, 2013-2015
• Member, National Center for Assisted Living, Health Information Technology Task Force, 2013-2015
• Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 2008-Present
• Member, Colorado Health Care Association, 1996-Present
• Member, Arizona Health Care Association, 2010-Present
• Member, Colorado Ambulatory Surgery Center Association, 2010-Present
Clerkships• Hon. Lewis T. Babcock, U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 1997-1999
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.