Joe Adams helps public and private companies and corporate executives to solve complex business disputes.
He advises clients in all areas of commercial litigation such as shareholder derivative suits, corporate governance disputes, false claims suits, class actions, employee benefits litigation, and other commercial matters relating to corporations and shareholders.
In the area of “business divorce” or business dissolution, Joe works with clients to navigate issues over ownership and control of companies.
Joe has extensive experience representing clients before regulatory agencies such as the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC). This deep knowledge provides his clients a distinct advantage in navigating and addressing the intricate compliance and regulatory issues raised by the federal and state regulatory agencies. He also oversees internal investigations regarding financial restatements, accounting issues, and instances of alleged individual wrongdoing raised by whistleblowers.
Joe began his career practicing high stakes intellectual property litigation with a well-known Silicon Valley law firm and continues to represent clients in their intellectual property matters, including prosecuting cases involving trademark and copyright infringement, representing clients in false advertising and unfair competition disputes, and defending the immunity of web site operators under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. He helps clients design anti-piracy programs and prevent the sale of infringing products online.
Representative Presentations and Publications
• Overview of Hot Topics in Director and Officer Liability, Co-presenter, Arizona Association of Defense Counsel (March 13, 2019)
• Internal Investigations: Overview and Current Developments, Panelist, Snell & Wilmer Seminar (June 2016)
• Internal Investigations and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: Understanding the New World Order, Panelist, Association of Corporate Counsel, Nevada (May 2016)
• Commercial Damages and Rebuttal Expert Reports, Panelist, Forensic and Valuation Services Conference of the American Institute of CPAs (November 2014)
• Compliance Summit 2014, Speaker, Snell & Wilmer Seminar (March 2014)
• Whistleblower Case Study, Speaker, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (March 2014)
• U.S. Supreme Court Expands Whistleblower Protections for Employees of Private Companies, Author, Snell & Wilmer Legal Alert (March 2014)
• The Sell Decision: Aiding, Abetting Liability Not Included, Co-Author, Arizona Attorney Magazine (February 2014)
• Ethics in Mergers and Acquisitions: A Review of Best Practices from Pre- to Post-Closing, Panelist, Association of Corporation Counsel Seminar (April 2013)
• Reserving and Disclosing for Loss Contingencies, Moderator, Snell & Wilmer Seminar (January 2013)
• How to Avoid and Resolve Disputes Between Business Partners, Panelist, Snell & Wilmer Seminar (November 2012)
• Federal Courts Endorse an Expanded Definition of a 'Whistleblower,' Snell & Wilmer Legal Alert (October 2012)
• Counsel on the Hot Seat: Managing Internal Investigations, Co-Author with Barbara Dawson, Association of Corporate Counsel Newsletter (December 2011)
• 2010 Securities Litigation Update, Presenter, Securities Regulation Section of the State Bar of Arizona (November 2010)
• Safeguarding Against D&O Claims Arising Out of the Financial Crisis, Presenter, Arizona Bankers Association’s Annual CEO & Bank Directors College (October 2010)
• The Anatomy of the Director-Led Investigation and the Role of Special Counsel to the Board, Co-Author with Barbara Dawson and Andreea Micklis, Snell & Wilmer Financial Services Litigation Bulletin (October 2010)
• Attorney-Client Privilege in the Context of Internal Investigations, Presenter, Snell & Wilmer Annual Retreat (April 2010)
• Establishing Procedures for Internal Investigations and Litigation Holds, Presenter, Litigation Master Series Session II for Lex Mundi and Association of Corporate Counsel (November 2009)
• Ethical Issues in Internal Investigations, Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel Ethics Series (April 2009)
• Recent Supreme Court Case Favors Patent Holders that Tie, Co-Author with John Platt, Executive Counsel (August 2006)
Professional Recognition and Awards
• Above and Beyond Litigation Award, Volunteer Lawyers Program Pro Bono Awards (2014)
•Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona, Arizona Foundation for Legal Services and Education (2009)
Other Professional Experience
•Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, P.C., Palo Alto, California (2000-2003)
•United States District Court, District of Arizona, Law Clerk to Hon. Roslyn O. Silver (1997-1998)
Related News & Events
Judges of the U.S. District Court in Arizona Appoint Snell & Wilmer Partner Joseph Adams as Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit
The Volunteer Lawyers Program 2014 Pro Bono Awards Recognize Multiple Snell & Wilmer Attorneys
The Sell Decision: Aiding, Abetting Liability Not Added Arizona Attorney Magazine
Stanford Law School Appoints Snell & Wilmer Partner Joe Adams to the Board of Visitors
Legal Alert - The SEC's Annual Report on the Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Program Shows Increased Activity
Legal Alert - U.S. Supreme Court Expands Whistleblower Protections for Employees of Private Companies
Legal Alert - Federal Courts Endorse an Expanded Definition of a Whistleblower - Companies Should Carefully Consider the Who and How When Claims Are Made
Financial Services Litigation Bulletin-October 2010 The Anatomy of the Director-Led Investigation and the Role of Special Counsel to the Board and Arizona Cracks Down on 'Foreclosure Consultants' The Anatomy of the Director-Led Investigation and the Role of Special Counsel to the Board and Arizona Cracks Down on 'Foreclosure Consultants'
Global Connection - May 2008