- Portable Butane Stove Burn Injuries Still Cause Unnecessary Harm
- August 27, 2014 | Author: Todd A. Walburg
- Law Firm: Lieff, Cabraser, Heimann & Bernstein, LLP - San Francisco Office
Portable butane stoves are a great convenience, making it possible for campers and others without access to a fixed stove to cook meals. While they are available for as little as ten or fifteen dollars, unfortunately these convenient portable stoves and butane burners can cause severe burn injuries and can even explode.
Typically used in buffet restaurants, cooking demonstrations, on camping trips, and aboard boats, portable burner butane stoves can turn hazardous without warning. Most portable butane stoves are comprised of a burner, a drip pan, and a fuel compartment with an aerosol butane canister. Design flaws that can lead to fires and explosions of these devices include overheating, gas leakage, and sudden pressure release. In some stoves, the "on-off" valves on the unit control panel fail to turn completely off.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, recent recalls of portable butane stoves manufactured by the Sterno Group LLC have been ordered due to fire and burn hazards. Of course, portable stoves can have defects leading to severe burn injuries before any formal recall is issued. Consumers are encouraged to stop cooking with any allegedly defective portable butane stoves immediately, and return the products to the manufacturer for replacement or repair.