Mr. Mlenak concentrates his practice in the areas of redevelopment, land use, zoning, and real estate development. His clients include property owners and developers engaged in mixed use, residential, industrial, commercial, office, retail and affordable housing development projects. Mr. Mlenak provides guidance from the initial project concept through to construction, including land use planning and approvals, permits and variances and appearances before municipal, county and state planning and zoning boards and agencies.
Mr. Mlenak counsels redevelopers, property owners and municipalities on all aspects of the redevelopment process, including the negotiation and drafting of redevelopment agreements, review of redevelopment area studies and redevelopment plans, drafting of redevelopment-related ordinances and resolutions, and appearances before redevelopment entities and governing bodies. He provides counsel regarding incentives and tax abatements available at the state and federal level, including the negotiation and drafting of financial agreements (PILOT) under the Long Term Tax Exemption Law and the application for grants under the Economic Development Authority. His work in this area is enhanced by the valuable legislative experience he garnered while serving as Chief of Staff for a member of New Jersey's General Assembly, prior to entering private practice.
Mr. Mlenak also maintains a strong practice in the area of community association law, providing strategic guidance and general counseling to condominium and homeowners association clients across a broad range of legal issues. His work encompasses the interpretation and amendment of governing documents and by-laws, drafting contracts, collection of delinquent assessments, the enforcement of rules and regulations, operational and maintenance issues, the fiduciary responsibilities of board members, transition negotiations and litigation, Municipal Services Act compliance, and alternative dispute resolution. He further represents clients in construction defect litigation, Fair Housing discrimination cases and landlord-tenant matters.
- Selected for inclusion by the New Jersey Law Journal on the 2018 list of "New Leaders of the Bar," the publication's annual listing of outstanding attorneys under the age of 40 and practicing in New Jersey
- Listed in Super Lawyers - New Jersey Rising Stars (a Thompson Reuters business) in the Real Estate practice area (2017)
- Recipient of the "2016 Speaker of the Year" award from the Community Associations Institute - New Jersey Chapter (CAI-NJ)
- Shared recipient of the "2014 Committee of the Year" award from the Community Associations Institute - New Jersey Chapter (CAI-NJ) for his work as a member of the National Legislative Action Committee - NJ
- Member, Community Associations Institute - New
Jersey Chapter: member, National Legislative Action Committee - NJ
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, Legislative Committee, New Jersey Builders Association
-Member, Advocacy Committee, Metropolitan Builders & Contractors Association of New Jersey
- Member, New Jersey Apartments Association
- Member, New Jersey Property Owners Association
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.