David L. Winnett is a skilled trial attorney representing catastrophically injured plaintiffs. Since starting his career as a prosecutor over 20 years ago, he has tried dozens of civil and criminal cases to verdict. Earlier this year, he was a finalist for SFTLA’s Trial Lawyer of the Year. He is also a graduate of CAOC’s Leadership Academy and a Fellow of the New Leaders Council.
In addition to his time as a prosecutor, Mr. Winnett was previously a partner at an Am Law 200 firm. His varied professional background, including his time spent as a prosecutor and as a civil defense lawyer, provides him with a unique perspective on the many legal challenges our clients often face and strategies for confronting those challenges.
Mr. Winnett lives in Novato with his wife and three daughters. They are active in the Bay Area softball community and Marin School of the Arts and enjoy cooking and traveling together as a family.
• CAOC Travel Seminar, “Unintended Death Sentences: Prosecuting Prisoner Suicide Cases” Speaker, November 2016
• CAOC Hawaii Travel Seminar, “Avoiding the Voidable; How to Ensure That Your Contingency Fee and Fee-Sharing Agreements Are Enforceable And Sufficiently Protect Your Interests” Speaker, December 2014
• "Disaster Response & Recovery: A Disaster Plan for Your Law Firm," live webcast, WestLegalEdcenter, September 2013.
• "The Ethics of Social Networking: Avoiding Pitfalls and Exploring Opportunities," Santa Clara County Bar Association, San Jose, California, January 2012.
• "Recent Developments in the Debate over Screening," live webcast, WestLegalEdcenter, October 2010.
• "Insurance Agents or Brokers: If You Are Sued, These are the Top 10 Questions Your Attorney Will Ask You," and "Top 10 Tips to Avoid Attorneys Altogether," Professional Insurance Associates, San Carlos, California, October 2008.
• "Lawyers' Liability for Intentional Torts," live webcast, WestLegalEdcenter, December 2007.
• Unintended Death Sentences, November, 2016, Plaintiff Magazine
• Ask the Expert, October 2016, Organized Labor
• Legal Malpractice: Proving The Case-Within-A-Case, November 2015, Plaintiff magazine
• Avoiding the Voidable: Ensuring Contingency Fees and Fee-Sharing Agreements are Enforceable, December 30, 2014
Honors and Awards
• Selected to Northern California Super Lawyers List, 2015-2016 – Top 5% of attorneys, as voted by peers.
• Finalist for the San Francisco Trial Lawyers – Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2016
• Rated AV-Preeminent for Ethical Standards & Ability, Martindale – Hubbell, 2014-2016
• Southern Illinois University, School of Law, Juris Doctor 1995, Recipient of the Corpus Juris Secundum Award in Torts