Admitted to the New Mexico State Bar in 1983, Timothy L. Butler has had extensive experience in providing legal and consulting services. The range of legal services he has rendered include:
· Employment litigation in state and federal court
· Employment arbitration, administrative hearings
· DOE employment, whistleblower & retaliation claims
· Security Clearances, Hearings Reinstatement
· Plaintiff's employment and other litigation against Los Alamos National Laboratory, LANL, Los Alamos National Security, LANS and subcontractors: Discrimination, RIF, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation, Breach of Contract
· New Mexico Whistleblower Protection Act Claims
· Sexual Harassment
· QUI TAM, False Claims Act
· Defamation, Libel, Slander
· Intellectual Property Disputes in State and Federal Court
· Copyright, Trademark, Trade Secret, Non-compete disputes and litigation
· Internet / E-commerce / Multimedia contracts, licenses, online legal issues and disputes, Cybersquatting, Domain Name Disputes
· Defense of alleged illegal download of online material, adult films, pornography, subpoenas and lawsuits
· Matters involving Art, Artists, Authors, Jewelry, Galleries, Musicians, Producers & Publishers
· Copyright and Trademark Registration and Practice
· Negotiating and drafting research and development, manufacturing, marketing and distribution agreements, strategic alliances & joint ventures
Mr. Butler has advised and litigated matters involving contracts & licenses, shareholder disputes, trade secrets, non-compete, unfair practices, defamation, copyright, trademark, patent, cybersquatting, retaliation, whistleblowers, wrongful discharge, employment disputes and discrimination, civil rights litigation representing individuals and small businesses. Defense of alleged illegal downloads of online content, adult movies, pornography, subpoenas and lawsuits. In over twenty years of practice, he has handled legal issues concerning employment disputes, intellectual property, computer software, hardware, online businesses, jewelry, biotechnology, polymers, fuel cells, medical devices, lasers, artificial intelligence, environmental technologies, computer systems development, books, art, galleries, music, movies, videogames, board games, educational kits, toys, interactive TV sensor technologies, home automation, and telecommunications.
· Mr. Butler serves clients nationwide on certain computer, internet, copyright and trademark infringement matters; defense of alleged download of online content, adult movies, pornography, subpoenas and lawsuits
· Mr. Butler serves clients throughout New Mexico, including Taos, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces and the hinterland.
· Mr. Butler serves as local counsel in cases brought by out-of-state attorneys in employment and defamation
Mr. Butler has lectured as an Adjunct Professor at the University of New Mexico School of Law, teaching classes in intellectual properly, computer law and technology law issues, has spoken at national computer conferences, has provided lectures and presentations for artists and gallery owners, and has addressed numerous computer user groups on the legal aspects of entrepreneurship and has created and presented multi-session courses on law for technology entrepreneurs.
He received his B.A. degree in History of Science from the University of California at Irvine and his JD degree from the University of California, Hastings College of Law. Mr. Butler received a certificate in Artificial Intelligence/Knowledge-Based Systems from the Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, in 1987. Mr. Butler rated highly by his peers: he is listed in Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property and a "BV" rating via Martindale Hubbell. Mr. Butler is a graduate of the Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College.