Areas of Practice
Mr. Zhang has broad experience in the areas of corporate law, antitrust law and intellectual property law in China.
He has represented many U.S. and European clients in a wide range of industries with respect to their mergers and acquisitions, joint venture projects and operations in China and Asia regions, including life science and healthcare, internet technology, co-working space, automobile, logistics, material hi-tech, telecommunication and software sectors.
With extensive knowledge of international business transactions, Mr. Zhang has represented leading Chinese companies in their outbound equity and asset transactions outside Mainland China, in the industries of life science and healthcare, e-commerce and green technology.
With rich knowledge of China’s and other East Asian countries’ antitrust laws, Mr. Zhang counsels U.S. and international clients, as well as Chinese local companies on international and PRC antitrust issues, with respect to pre-merger control, price fixing and monopolistic agreement issues.
Mr. Zhang is experienced with IP licensing, IP due diligence and corporate IP protection within M&A transactions and joint venture projects. He also has expertise with the protection of his client’s IP rights against counterfeiting and piracy in China.
•Client Choice Top 20 Lawyers in China, Asian Legal Business, 2018
•Client Choice Top 20 Lawyers in China , Asian Legal Business , 2016-2017
•Recommended by China Business Law Journal at Healthcare, Pharma & Life Science Award of 2016 China Business Law Awards
Represented a leading Chinese pharmaceutical group in multiple equity investment transactions in the US and European countries.
Represented a leading Chinese state-owned pharmaceutical group handing in its US equity investment projects.
Represented a leading US pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a Chinese medical software company.
Represented a US Nasdaq listed pharmaceutical company in its joint venture transaction with a leading private pharmaceutical group in China.
Represented multiple venture capital funds in their strategic investment transactions in target companies in China and East Asia.
Represented a leading Chinese co-working space company in its investment projects in Vietnam, UK and Australia.
Represented international textile labelling company for its PRC pre-merger filing under a global acquisition transaction, and advised client re pre-merger filings at Asian jurisdictions.
Represented a famous capital management company in an international arbitration case at CIETAC involving a famous Chinese SOE.
Advised world leading sports brand company for its antitrust compliance action, and provided antitrust training for its China sales team; handled multiple complicated China related commercial contractual disputes for this client.
Advised Chinese leading mobile service carrier group regarding global and China antitrust issues of a patent pool.
Advised an US cold-warehousing company in setting up its Asian executive employment policies and contractual arrangements.
•Suggestions On Regulatory Compliance With The New Anti-monopoly Law For Multinational Companies In China
China Law & Practice , October 1, 2007
•Impact of New Anti-Monopoly Law of PRC on International Mergers and Acquisitions
China Legal Review , September 1, 2007
Antitrust Law Blog Posts
• China Hands Milk Producers the Largest Anti-Monopoly Violation Fine, August 19, 2013
• Qihoo 360 v. Tencent: A Landmark Decision under China's Anti-Monopoly Law, July 22, 2013
• China's Supreme Court Issues New Rules On Civil Cases Based On Monopolistic Conduct, May 31, 2012
• China Announces First Administrative Anti-Monopoly Case, August 22, 2011
• Chinese Authorities Reject Coke-HuiYuan Acquisition Deal, May 13, 2009
• Chinese Pre-Merger Notifications: Anti-monopoly Bureau of MOFCOM Plans to Launch Series of New Rules, March 6, 2009
• China's New Merger Rules, August 15, 2008
• Private Civil Lawsuits Under China Anti-Monopoly Law, April 7, 2008
• The Current Anti-Monopoly System of China and Impact of New Anti-Monopoly Law, November 14, 2007
• Covenant Not to Sue and Its Technology Monopoly Impact, June 6, 2007
• China Premerger Notification Rules, May 7, 2007
China Law Blog Posts
• Shanghai Pilot Free Trade Zone (PFTZ), October 9, 2013
• New Developments for Foreign Special Purpose Companies and Round-Trip Investment , July 5, 2011
• Chinese Pre-Merger Notifications: Anti-monopoly Bureau of MOFCOM Plans to Launch Series of New Rules , March 17, 2009
U.S. Legal Insights for Korean Businesses Blog Posts
• New Red Flag for Multinationals: Retail Price Maintenance on Chinese AML Regulator’s Radar, May 10, 2015
•Speaker, Recent Trends in Inbound and Outbound M&A Transactions for China, Sheppard Mullin, Seoul, Republic of Korea, August 2017
•Speaker, Are You Really Ready To Be a Transactional Lawyer? East China University of Politics Science and Law, Shanghai, China, October 2016
•Speaker, On Your Way to China? - Basic ABCs for Corporate Investment in China, Korea In-house Counsel Association, Seoul, Republic of Korea, October 2014
•New Trends in Life Science Transactions in the US and China
May 24, 2018
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.