Matthew is a principal in the law firm of Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law in Clayton, Missouri specializing in Federal and State criminal law. He has tried cases throughout Illinois, Missouri, and the District Court of Eastern Missouri. He has argued before the Eastern District of Missouri, the Missouri Supreme Court and U.S.C.A. for the Eighth Circuit. He is licensed in the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S.C.A for the Armed Forces.
Matthew has served as Chair of BAMSL's Criminal Practice Section and was a member of its CLE Committee and Board of Governors. He served three terms on the Missouri Bar Young Lawyers Section, during which he served on its Executive Council, the Public Defender and Special Needs Task Forces. He is currently an executive council member of the St. Louis County Bar Association.
Matthew has a long service record with the U.S. Military. At the age of 17, he entered and served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves from 1993-2000. Soon after he was honorably discharged from the Marines, the 9/11 tragedy occurred and Matthew once again volunteered to serve his country. This time he was commissioned in the U.S. Army Reserves wherein he served 9 years in the JAG Corps and obtained the rank of Captain. In both of these branches of the military, Matthew received numerous awards and commendations.
Matthew has a background in law enforcement and has prosecuted cases in both state and military courts. During law school, Matthew interned at the McLean County, Illinois State's Attorney's Office, the City of St. Louis Circuit Attorney's Office and the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Missouri. Through these experiences, Matthew has had an opportunity to see how a criminal case works its way through the system and has utilized this knowledge to better assist his clients today.
Matthew has achieved the distinction of being rated as an AV-Preeminent lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell in the area of criminal defense, a distinction reserved for the Top 5% of lawyers in the nation. Throughout his career, he has received numerous other accolades for his litigation skills. Most recently, Matthew's accomplishments in criminal trial work was recognized by his peers and judges when he was awarded the 2014 Lon O. Hocker Award for excellence in trial practice by the Missouri Bar. Matthew has also authored numerous legal articles and presented CLE's for the Missouri Bar and Lorman Education Services.
In addition to defending criminal cases, Matthew has also successfully assisted clients with representation in administrative hearings pertaining to Child Abuse and Neglect Review Boards, Title IX hearings at universities and colleges throughout Missouri and Illinois, Department of Mental Health proceedings, Department of Agriculture EBT benefits contests, Department of Defense Security Clearance hearings, Conceal and Carry Permit Appeals, federal and state forfeitures and order of protection hearings- to name just a few.
If you need help, let Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law assist you in the manner that you deserve to be represented.
- Gun Laws in America and Missouri: An Overview, The St. Louis Bar Journal, Fall 2016
- DWI-Manual, Missouri Bar Desk Reference Series, Editor, 2014
- Ever Heard of the Lautenberg Amendment? Don't Worry You're Not Alone,, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, October, 2005
- State v. Wilder, 457 S.W. 3d 354 (Mo. App S.D. 2015)
- People's National Bank v. Mehlman, 415 S.W. 3d 761 (Mo. App E.D. 2013)
- Williams v. Col. Lee, 331 S.W.3d 298 (Mo. 2011)
- State v. Silva, 291 S.W.3d 371 (Mo. App 2009)
- McGrath v. Bowen, 192 S.W. 3d 515 (Mo. App. E.D. 2006)
- U.S. v. Braggs, 196 Fed. Appx. 442 (8th Cir. 2006)
- U.S. v. Strauser, 247 F.Supp.2d 1135 (E.D. Mo 2003)
- Speaker, Mini-Law School, Missouri Bar & Saint Louis University School of Law, 2015
- Presenter, Missouri State Legislature and Senate Joint Commission of Reformation of Sex Offender Registration Laws, 2014
- Speaker, Criminal Law 101, Missouri Bar Annual Meeting, 2012
- Contributor, Lorman Education Services, CLE Webinars(several Criminal Law Topics), 2014
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Lon O. Hocker Trial Lawyer Award, Missouri Bar Foundation, 2014
- Honoree, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer (Criminal Law), 2010 - 2017
- Honoree, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers-Rising Star, 2009
- Honoree, ATLA's Top 100 Trial Attorneys in Missouri, 2009 - 2017
- Honoree, Missouri Lawyer's Weekly "Up & Coming" Lawyer Award, 2009
- Roy F. Essen Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, St. Louis County Bar Association, 2009
- St. Louis Business Journal's "30 Under 30," Class of 2004
- Recipient, Milton Napier Award for Excellence in Litigation, St. Louis Lawyers Association, 2000