Areas of Practice
Mr. Patrick is a patent attorney and focuses his practice on patent prosecution, litigation, and counseling. Mr. Patrick has prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications across many fields, including business methods, computer software, social media, mobile and social games, video games, augmented and virtual reality, blockchain technology and digital currency, e-commerce, and financial services, among others.
Mr. Patrick has also worked on a variety of patent litigation matters, including invalidity and noninfringement analysis, prior art research, and drafting litigation documents. Mr. Patrick also has experience representing clients in federal district court as well as in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
While in law school, Mr. Patrick externed at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, first as an examiner in a business methods art unit and then as a judicial extern for the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. He also served as a member of the American University Law Review and as a student attorney for the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic.
•Considering Blockchain In The Electricity Industry
Law360, November 7, 2018
•2 Courts Dismiss Class Actions Involving Virtual Casinos
Law360, December 1, 2015
•“The Federal Circuit and Ultramercial: Software and Business Method Patents Tumble Further Down the Rabbit Hole,” American University Law Review, April 2015
Intellectual Property Law Blog Posts
• Illinois Federal Judge Awards Treble Damages and Attorneys’ Fees in Kurt Vonnegut-Fueled Opinion, February 23, 2017
• Federal Circuit Finds Software-Related Claims Patent Eligible in Enfish, LLC v. Microsoft Corp., May 24, 2016
Video Game Law Blog Posts
• All Bets are On! Gambling and Video Games, September 13, 2018
• Are Loot Boxes An Illegal Gambling Mechanic? October 24, 2017
• eSports on the Rise as Collegiate Sport, October 18, 2017
• eSports League Expands with Addition of NFL Owners and Cloud9, August 17, 2017
• U.S. Supreme Court Set to Address Sports Betting, June 28, 2017
• Vermont Becomes Second State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports in 2017, June 13, 2017
• New Challenge to Daily Fantasy Sports in New York, October 10, 2016
• Massachusetts Becomes Ninth State to Legalize Daily Fantasy Sports, August 17, 2016
• New York Legalizes Daily Fantasy Sports, August 8, 2016
• The New Face of eSports Venues? March 25, 2016
• DraftKings and FanDuel to Suspend Activity in New York, Effective Immediately, March 22, 2016
• Daily Fantasy Sports is Legalized....At least in Virginia! March 8, 2016
• Daily Fantasy Sports Update - DraftKings Sues Texas AG; Activity in GA and IN, March 7, 2016
• Virginia Passage of Fanta sy Sports Law Appears Imminent; PA, NY and MD Bills in the Works, February 26, 2016
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.