Ms. Wernke advises wealthy individuals and the fiduciaries of large estates and trusts (both domestic and foreign) on a wide range of sophisticated tax and estate planning matters. She focuses on achieving tax efficiency and compliance while also ensuring that clients’ non-tax objectives are met. Ms. Wernke's practice includes designing and implementing estate and lifetime gifting plans, succession planning for clients with businesses large and small, achieving creditor protection for clients and their heirs, and helping clients come into compliance with U.S. tax requirements.
With her significant experience in tax controversies and litigation, Ms. Wernke advises clients with respect to substantial gift tax, estate tax, generation-skipping tax, and fiduciary income tax issues at all stages of controversy: voluntary disclosures, ruling requests, audits, IRS Appeals, and in court.
Ms. Wernke also assists existing clients with probate and trust administration.
Awards & Rankings
•Chambers High Net Worth Guide, Up and Coming, 2018
• UPDATED: Year-End Charitable Giving Ideas: IRA Rollovers and Bunching Charitable Deductions, with Beth Shapiro Kaufman, Anne J. O'Brien, William D. Fournier, and Alison F. Egan, Caplin & Drysdale Client Alert, November 28, 2018
• 2018 Ushers In New Estate Planning Opportunities and Pitfalls, with Beth Shapiro Kaufman, Anne J. O'Brien, and Alison F. Egan, Caplin & Drysdale Client Alert, January 18, 2018
• Possible Repeal of the Estate Tax in 2017, with Beth Shapiro Kaufman, Anne J. O'Brien, and William D. Fournier, Caplin & Drysdale Client Alert, December 5, 2016
• Allocating Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Exemption, with Beth Shapiro Kaufman, California Trusts and Estates Quarterly, December 30, 2015
• 2016 Federal and State Estate Gift Tax Exemptions for D.C., Maryland, and Virginia, with Beth Shapiro Kaufman, Anne J. O'Brien, and William D. Fournier, Caplin & Drysdale Client Alert, December 28, 2015
• Maryland Estate Tax Exemption Set to Rise, with Anne J. O'Brien, William D. Fournier, and Beth Shapiro Kaufman, Caplin & Drysdale Client Alert, May 16, 2014
Recent Speaking Engagements
•Speaker, Estates, Trusts and Probate Law Community Lunch Series: Recent Federal and State Tax Developments for Estate Planners, D.C. Bar, November 15, 2018
•Speaker, Recent Federal Tax Developments for Estate Planners, The Maryland Association of CPAs 2018 Advanced Tax Institute Conference, November 13, 2018
•Presenter, Estate Planning Under H.R. 1, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, STEP Mid Atlantic, January 31, 2018
•Panelist, Estate Planning Issues, 2017 Advanced Tax Institute (ATI), November 14, 2017
•Speaker, Basics of Fiduciary Income Taxation, Estate Planning Council of Montgomery County, November 1, 2017
•Panelist, Recent Developments In Federal Case Law, Legislation, and Regulations, Maryland State Bar Association, November 3, 2015
•Speaker, A Brave New World: The Changing Landscape of Estate Planning, American Bar Association, The Day After Tax Day, April 16, 2015
•Caplin & Drysdale Honors the Women of the Firm, Caplin & Drysdale, March 8, 2019
•Caplin & Drysdale Attorneys Advance in Chambers Ranking for Private Wealth Law, Chambers High Net Worth Guide, July 23, 2018
•Caplin & Drysdale Welcomes Former IRS Nonprofit Senior Technical Adviser and Strengthens Tax Controversies and Private Client Groups, Caplin & Drysdale, Chartered, January 16, 2018
•Member, American Bar Association: Section of Taxation; Section of Real Property, Trust, and Estate Law
•Member, D.C. Bar Association: Taxation Section; Estates, Trusts, and Probate Law Section
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.