A former Land Court law clerk and long time Land Court Title Examiner, Syd has more than 40 years of experience in representing buyers, sellers, landlords, lenders and developers of real estate throughout Massachusetts. His clients have developed major single family home and condominium projects as well as commercial, warehousing, shopping center and special purpose buildings, hotels and resorts.
A former town counsel for a number of Berkshire County communities, and as a former Massachusetts municipal official, Syd understands and practices the art and science of real estate project permitting. One of thirty four Massachusetts members of the prestigious American College of Real Estate Lawyers, and the only member from Berkshire County, Syd maintains a high level of professional education and contact with real estate practitioners nationwide at the highest level of their profession. In 2011, for the seventh consecutive year, Boston Magazine and Law and Politics recognized Syd as one of Massachusetts' Super Lawyers.
- Developed and obtained the necessary zoning change and all permits for the development of Cranwell Resort in Lenox, Mass.
- Drafted and obtained the necessary zone change to authorize bed and breakfast uses in the town of Lee, MA.
- Obtained necessary permits and environmental approvals for development of a large Central Berkshire hotel.
- One of 15 members of the Real Estate Bar Association for Massachusetts Alternative Dispute Resolution Panel mediating cases involving all manner of real estate controversies throughout the state.
- Syd is President of the Abstract Club, a Massachusetts association of real estate lawyers limited by its by-laws to 100 members.
Author of chapters for Crocker's Notes on Common Forms, Massachusetts Municipal Law and Massachusetts Title Practice, publications of the Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) program. Syd has participated in more than thirty MCLE programs as a speaker.
Authored Streets and Ways, which has appeared in MCLE publications and in a publication of the Massachusetts Association of Land Surveyors and Civil Engineers, Inc. of which Syd is an honorary member.
Panelist on Public Ways Update at the March 2011 Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 9th annual Municipal Law Conference.
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Berkshire Bar Association
- Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts City Solicitors and Town Counsel Association