Mr. Brown concentrates his practice in white collar criminal defense, international human rights issues, internal investigations and complex commercial litigation. He has defended clients in state and federal courts and before administrative tribunals. He is a leading figure in the developing area of law related to the regulation and enforcement of business requirements for human rights compliance.
Mr. Brown has extensive experience as a trial lawyer and has handled a wide variety of criminal and civil matters representing individuals, corporations and government entities. He most recently represented U.S. Senator Robert Menendez as Defense Co-Counsel against criminal allegations of public corruption and bribery brought by the U.S. government, in a highly publicized trial which ended in a hung jury and subsequent mistrial. Shortly thereafter, all charges against Senator Menendez were dismissed by the Department of Justice.
Mr. Brown has also appeared in a number of other high profile proceedings, including the nine-month trial involving former U.S. Secretary of Labor Raymond J. Donovan and the successful eight-year defense of senior executives of a major multinational corporation charged with environmental violations. Mr. Brown has appeared in courts in twelve states and has conducted investigations in the U.S. and in Kenya, El Salvador, the Cayman Islands, Switzerland, the Bahamas, Colombia and Sierra Leone. His international experience includes qualifying as Counsel before the International Criminal Court in The Hague and serving as Co-Lead Defense Counsel at the Special Court for Sierra Leone.
Mr. Brown counsels foreign and domestic multinationals on a broad range of
corporate risk management, governance, and transactional issues, including
those at the intersection of human rights and business concerns. He advises on
compliance obligations, supply chain management issues, and the potential
reputational risks and “bottom line” impacts facing corporations whose
operational practices become entangled in human rights violations, both
domestically and on the international stage.
-Host of the Emmy Award winning New Jersey Network public television program "Due Process”
- 2014 recipient of the 2018 (inaugural) Francis X. Dee Award from the American College of Trial Lawyers, in recognition of outstanding trial and advocacy skills and exceptional professional conduct
- Recipient of Litigation Counsel of America's Peter Perlman Service Award
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) as 2013 Woodbridge "Lawyer of the Year" in the Criminal Defense:Non-White-Collar practice area
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© (a trademark of Woodward/White, Inc.) in the Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Criminal Defense: Non-White-Collar, and Criminal Defense:White-Collar practice areas (1989 – present)
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers (a Thompson Reuters business) in the Criminal Defense: White Collar practice area (2007 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a
trademark of Internet Brands, Inc.) (1983 – present)
You should not send any sensitive or confidential information through this site. Emails sent through this site do not create an attorney-client relationship and may not be treated as privileged or confidential. The lawyer or law firm you are contacting is not required to, and may choose not to, accept you as a client. The Internet is not necessarily secure and emails sent though this site could be intercepted or read by third parties.