Practice/Industry Group Overview
Housed on historic Music Row in a quaint three-story house where the dress code for the lawyers matches the dress code of the clients, the members of the Adams and Reese Entertainment and New Media Team passionately dedicate ourselves to meeting the challenges and achieving the goals of our diversified clients through sound practical advice based on years of results-driven experience.
Although we are a boutique team, which keeps us nimble, accountable and able to customize our work for each client, we serve clients on a national and international basis. We have the best of both worlds, allowing us to draw upon the other practice teams at Adams and Reese to assist clients with matters such as litigation, labor law, business law, trademarks, patents, health care, taxes, and estate planning. Our aims are to be invaluable members of our clients’ team, to bring new and exciting opportunities to our clients and to serve our clients in the manner we would like to be served.
Our lawyers boast over 75 years of combined experience and strength in both the law and the business of entertainment. We concentrate our work in the growing and ever-changing entertainment, intellectual property, new media, multimedia, e-commerce, social and business entrepreneur and social network practice areas. We all became lawyers to make a positive difference in our clients’ lives.
Core Practice and Clients
Representative clients include songwriters, music publishers, recording artists, producers, creators of other works, digital, wireless, social media firms, ministries, estates and trusts associated with deceased creators, personal managers, celebrities, brands, authors, illustrators, graphic artists, inventors, merchandisers, infomercial marketers, banks, unions, trademark and domain name holders, TV and film personalities, and start-ups. We will help our clients with any legal or business issue, but our main areas of practice include:
Contract Preparation/Negotiation: including not only the transactional and business details associated with recording, music publishing, merchandising, personal management, touring, endorsement, sponsorship, producer and talent agreements, television, film and book publishing, but also the highly specialized protection needed for intellectual property rights and compensation for our clients’ services and products.
Intellectual Property Protection/Advocacy: including all aspects of licensing, the protection of domestic and international patents, trademarks and copyrights and the comprehensive enforcement of rights to such intellectual property throughout current and new technology marketplaces as well as pursuing legislative or judicial resolutions for unique intellectual property issues.
Intellectual Property Asset Valuation/Management: representing and coordinating valuations of intellectual property Assets for banks, estates, sales, online businesses as well as negotiating the purchase and sale of these assets.
Business Advice: ongoing general counsel on legislative matters, intellectual property compliance and corporate and asset strategies, including band agreements, partnership matters, joint ventures, and investments.
Marketing Opportunities: including the naming of companies, introduction of industry personnel and investment opportunities to clients, and providing of marketing ideas and strategies.
- Licensing, clearance and maintenance of the business and technical aspects of one of the world’s largest digital music service providers.
- Licensing and clearance of 1000s of songs and masters for a national restaurant chain music compilation business.
- Highly specialized advice associated with the recapture of United States and Canadian copyrights, allocation of post-recapture monies and administration of new rights.
- General business, marketing and legal counsel in connection with one of the world’s largest music distributors.
- Drafting, negotiation and counsel in connection with multiple one-of-a-kind deals between recording artists/songwriters and record labels, investors and on-the-cusp music businesses for the exploitation of works and brand development and marketing.
- IP protection in connection with roll out of worldwide perfume product on behalf of legacy artist brand.
- Handling matters associated with internationally-acclaimed evangelical ministries related to production of DVDs and other products.
- Negotiating reality television show acts for "American Idol", "The Voice", "The Next", and "Million Dollar Neighborhood."
- Negotiating agreements for the acquisition of life-story rights for several television motion pictures.
- Production agreements for and licensing of rights in connection with an Australian animated television and DVD series.
- Full representation of all aspects of the production and protection of and international licensing of a New York Times award winning educational curriculum.
- Negotiation of employment contracts for key executives in highly compensated music industry positions.
- Celebrity endorsement deal for roll out of new infant “green” laundry and cleaning products.
- National celebrity sponsorship deals.
- Expansion of the services offered by the world's second biggest digital music provider.
- Team member on the acquisition of two international digital distributions film companies.
- "Soup to Nuts" representation of Grammy-Award winning recording artist's self-owned released recordings, DVDs, and merchandise.
Our team believes strongly in Ralph Waldo Emerson’s definition of success: “To laugh often, and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a redeemed social condition, or a job well done; to know even one other life has breathed because you lived ... this is to have succeeded.”
We also agree whole-heartedly with his definition of a good lawyer: “The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape.”