Practice/Industry Group Overview
Timely negotiation and dispute resolution may mean the difference between a successful project and no project. The Adams and Reese Real Estate and Construction attorneys are ready to assist you.
Adams and Reese's regional Real Estate attorneys assist a variety of real estate clients including developers, contractors, lenders and real estate managers. Adams and Reese attorneys offer knowledge in real estate and construction transactions as well as economic development, governmental relations, energy, licensing and contractual disputes. Whether your current legal issue pertains to a single community or spans several states, our attorneys help you move forward with knowledgeable, local representation.
Representation includes all types of real estate sales and acquisitions, secured transactions, property development, commercial leasing, and all other aspects of real property and related finance law. Our attorneys provide analysis, advice and counsel regarding the structuring of real estate transactions and related financing arrangements, including mortgage and other secured transactions. Adams and Reese attorneys also provide a full range of title insurance services.
Adams and Reese attorneys provide advice on how to avoid litigation, how to resolve a transaction or conflict efficiently, and how to successfully negotiate a deal. Our team includes attorneys with backgrounds in engineering and LEED certification. We have successfully represented clients before boards of licensing and other governmental entities.
When the potential cure involves legislation, we will lobby on your behalf. The diversity of our work in several states has supported our efforts to contest or draft industry models that support a healthier climate for development. For example, we have been instrumental in representing the industry in the area of performance-based energy efficiency contracts in Louisiana.
Core Practice and Clients
Adams and Reese represents political subdivisions, municipalities, public utilities, developers, owners, buyers, sellers, lenders, architects, engineers, general contractors, and sub-contractors in construction and real estate matters and litigation. Our core services include, but are not limited to:
Commercial Leasing: negotiation and documentation of lease transactions and related documentation from both the landlord and tenant's perspective; representation of lenders in leasehold-secured transactions and other lending transactions involving leased property; landlord/tenant relationships, including lease default and eviction litigation.
Licensing and Compliance: addressing regulatory requirements, liens and privileges, zoning, expropriations and industry permitting and licensing.
Legislative: lobbying and drafting of industry legislation in multiple states and providing proactive counsel to industry groups.
Litigation and ADR: including all aspects of alternative dispute resolution, litigation and appeal of license, zoning or breach of contract disputes; public bid protests, bankruptcy and workouts and efforts to block potentially harmful legislation.
Management and Operation of Commercial, Residential, Agricultural and Forestry Property: management of leased commercial and multi-family properties; establishment and operation of homeowners associations, condominium owners associations, and related management and operation of common elements; management and operation of agricultural properties and timberlands.
Planning and Negotiation: including all types of construction and real estate contracts, owner and corporate contracts, critical path scheduling, public bid and procurement, state and federal contracts, financing, surety and bonds.
Property Development and Construction: representation of developers and lenders in all aspects of the development of industrial, commercial and residential real property, such as zoning and land use issues; construction law and related lending and development issues; governmental approval for all types of real estate development; due diligence issues, including title, environmental, and survey issues.
Sales and Acquisitions: negotiation, documentation and closing of sales, acquisitions and related financing of commercial, industrial, forestry and agricultural properties. Other types of real estate transfers, including sale/leaseback transactions, tax free exchanges and donations.
Secured Transactions: representation of both lenders and borrowers in all types of secured transactions, including mortgage and deed of trust transactions, and construction and permanent financing; documentation of all types of secured transactions involving real property, including loan agreements, security agreements, and any and all other documentation related to such secured transactions, and the closing of such secured transactions; foreclosures and deeds in lieu of foreclosure.
Other Real Estate-Related Services and Practice Areas
- Creation of all types of business entities in connection with real estate ownership and development, including corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, joint ventures and limited partnerships.
- Condemnation, expropriation and eminent domain actions.
- Utilities, telecommunications issues, and related regulatory issues.
- Federal and state regulation of real estate, including Americans With Disabilities Act, RESPA, and Truth in Lending Act issues.
- Easements and servitudes.
- Tax assessments, tax disputes and tax sales.
- Real Estate Brokerage Laws.
- Litigation concerning title issues, including adverse possession, boundary disputes, tax sale disputes, eminent domain, title issues, and quieting and confirming title.
- Representation of a publicly traded Real Estate Investment Trust in the acquisition and financing of two (2) major Class A office buildings in downtown New Orleans, Louisiana, for $140 million.
- Representation of purchasers of timberlands, including the acquisition of over 400,000 acres of timberland in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee.
- Representation of owners of timberlands in obtaining senior and mezzanine credit facilities in excess of $400 million.
- Representation of purchasers of timberlands in Texas (including 30,000 acres and 60,000 acres) and Oklahoma (including 90,000 acres).
- Representation of a major multi-family housing developer in the acquisition of a 97-acre tract of land and the development thereof over a period of four years into a 496-unit multi-family housing development constructed in two phases, a residential subdivision, a major retail site, and a public park.
- Representation of a shipbuilder in its acquisition of five (5) shipyard facilities in Louisiana and Texas, and the simultaneous refinancing of nine (9) additional shipyard facilities.
- Representation of a manufacturer in the purchase of carbon dioxide producing properties for $45 million.
- Representation of a publicly traded gaming and entertainment client in the confirmation of its Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Reorganization Plan and post-petition refinancing of existing debt, and related real estate work pertaining to a major land-based casino gaming facility.
- Representation of a client developer in the re-development of the Desire Housing Project in New Orleans through a H.U.D. Hope VI Grant and additional construction and tax creditor investor financing.
- Representation of a corporation in the acquisition of a leasing company in a transaction valued at $13 million.
- Representation of a municipality interest in the leasehold acquisition and financing of a major aircraft maintenance facility.
- Representation of a lender in the refinancing of $12 million motel construction in Florida.
- Representation of a federal court receiver in the negotiation and sale of an oil and gas gathering system, pipeline and port terminal.
- Representation of a client in connection with its $10 million acquisition of a producing property in Hub Field, Marion County, Mississippi.
- Representation of a client energy company in its acquisition of a 173-acre industrial site for development into a shipping terminal and commodities storage facility on the Mississippi River near New Orleans.
- Development of a residential community from acquisition of property, approval of plats, amendments to zoning ordinances, contracting for improvements, obtaining of financing and sales of property.
There are few construction and real estate issues we haven’t seen. When a practical solution is available, count on Adams and Reese to identify it and explain the cost/benefit. When it’s not, we’ll manage the complexity to help you resolve disputes and focus on your business.