Practice/Industry Group Overview
Our Business Litigation Team reflects the strength and diversity of our firm's considerable resources. The Team is comprised of 65 attorneys primarily and secondarily assigned to the Team who handle an enormous variety of commercial litigation matters, as outlined in our Areas Of Practice below, including Antitrust, Securities Litigation, Civil RICO, Business Torts, Breach of Contract, Unfair Trade Practices, and Directors' and Officers' Liability. We take pride in our ability to offer litigation capabilities on large, complex matters.
We represent major clients in significant commercial litigation matters in jurisdictions throughout the United States, including before the United States Courts of Appeals and United States Supreme Court. Additionally, our attorneys have tried and litigated high profile and multimillion-dollar cases for clients throughout the United States, including Class Action and Multi-District Litigation. Our attorneys have successfully tried hundreds of jury and judge trials.
Our team includes a former assistant city attorney for the City of Houston, a former Alabama Deputy Attorney General, and former General Counsel and in-house counsel for multi-national corporations and trade associations.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
The depth and breadth of our Business Litigation Team's experience is presented in this illustrative list of matters we handle for our clients:
- Antitrust and Unfair Competition
- Banking and Negotiable Instruments
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Business and Consumer Fraud
- Civil RICO
- Constitutional & Civil Rights Law
- Copyrights, Intellectual Property & Technology Litigation
- Corporate Disputes
- Directors' and Officers' Liability
- Dissolution of Business Organizations
- Distributor and Franchise-Related Litigation
- Due Diligence in Merger and Acquisitions
- Lender Liability
- Securities Litigation and Arbitrations
- Seizure and Foreclosure
- Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- Unfair Trade Practices and Trade Secrets
- Uniform Commercial Code
- Brokers / Investment Advisors
- Commercial Real Estate
- Health Care
- Music & Film
- Oil & Gas
- Trade Associations
- Defended publicly traded corporation against multi-billion dollar claims in multi-district class action litigation wherein plaintiff class alleged Civil RICO violations arising from company's delivery of health care services.
- Defended Wall Street investment bank and its general securities representative in unsuitability, "dram shop" claim brought by investor seeking in excess of $30 million in NASD and federal court proceedings.
- Defended international conglomerate in alleged industry-wide price-fixing conspiracy violating federal antitrust laws.
- Defended a billion dollar privately held company that had acquired a long distance telephone business against claims by the selling shareholders of fraud and breach of contract related to alleged damages in excess of $50 million under an earnout provision in the purchase agreement.
- Represented retirement plan and trustee seeking a multi-million dollar recovery against 15 defendants for their breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract arising from mismanagement of retirement fund in proceedings in federal and state court and before the NASD.
- Defended publicly-traded Delaware corporation against claims of major corporate shareholder alleging inappropriate entrenchment by management and breach of their fiduciary duty for misleading SEC disclosures and awarding excessive compensation.
- Defended D&O insurer of publicly traded bank in class action securities matter brought by investors seeking hundreds of millions of dollars for alleged fraud arising from inappropriate omissions and inaccurate disclosure of loan loss reserve and setting of same.
- Defended a corporate registered investment advisor and three of its officers against claims by its client alleging unsuitability pursuant to federal and state securities laws as well as claims of breach of fiduciary duty, deceptive trade practices and common law fraud.
- Represented creditor seeking in excess of $500 million in the Enron bankruptcy.
- Defended major accounting firm against $700 million claim of professional liability and fraud relating to audit work performed for publicly traded company, which was liquidated in bankruptcy court.
- Represented multi-million dollar privately held corporation seeking millions of dollars in damages for breach of warranty and related UCC claims arising from the alleged defective manufacture of specialized equipment.
- Defended officers and directors of a privately held medical device company in federal court against claims by investors alleging fraudulent inducement, negligence, misrepresentations and stock fraud.
- Defended officers and directors of a publicly traded manufacturing company against claims by trustee in bankruptcy alleging negligence, self-dealing and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Defended a health care claims management company against claims seeking multi-million dollar recovery for negligence, misappropriation and fraud relating to alleged non-payment of health care claims on behalf of the insurer.
- Defended a bank and one of its officers in a lawsuit alleging negligence and seeking a declaratory judgment and damages related to loan secured by real property.
- Represented an international plastics manufacturer in a multi-million dollar lawsuit on an account owed to it and defended against claims of poor product quality and fraud.
- Represented a petroleum information company to protect its multi-million dollar intellectual property rights related to enforcing a written contract and licensing agreements.
- Represented operator in breach of contract and fraud claim arising from a large international offshore construction project.
- Defended an international manufacturing company against claims by a subcontractor seeking payment for change orders on a petroleum high-pressure vessel fabrication job and including dissolving writs of attachment.
- Defended company against a multi-million dollar maritime lien claim on a construction project involving two offshore jack-up rigs.
- Defended national franchisor against Civil RICO, fraud and conspiracy claims by franchisees.
- Represented publicly traded corporation alleging Civil RICO violations against companies for falsifying and fabricating asbestos lawsuits.
- Represented major oil companies, as well as independents, in offshore and onshore oil and gas lease, contract and operation disputes.
- Represented many employers in a trade secrets case against a former employee, who took confidential and proprietary information to use with a competitor.
- Represented many employers to enforce a covenant not to compete against a former employee, who joined a substantial competitor.
- Represented many companies to defend against alleged breach of or to enforce terms of a contract, including complex indemnity obligations.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The vast majority of the team members are rated A/V by Martindale-Hubbell and are recognized as some of the top litigators in the region. In addition to being discerning advisors and advocates for our business clients, our members have received prestigious recognition from their peers, and they generously contribute time and resources to their communities. Members of our team are listed in Best Lawyers in America and are members of the American Inns of Court and the Defense Research Institute.
| Languages spoken by Business Litigation Professionals