Andy has been a practicing health lawyer for more than 30 years. He represents a wide array of clients in the health industry, both on the provider side (including multihospital systems and individual hospitals of all sizes, correctional health care providers, nursing homes, and physician groups), and on the payor side (including managed care companies, HMOs, and prepaid health service plans).
He is active in health industry mergers and acquisitions, and the establishment of joint ventures and other collaborative affiliations. In the regulatory area, he counsels clients in connection with corporate compliance and corporate governance, fraud and abuse, hospital-medical staff matters, HIPAA, and Medicare/Medicaid matters.
Andy also conducts a national practice relating to accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), which accredits graduate medical education programs in academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, and by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), which accredits medical schools. He regularly counsels institutions and teaching programs throughout the country on compliance with ACGME and Residency Review Committee (RRC) requirements, and medical schools on compliance with LCME standards.
His accreditation clients include many prestigious medical schools and academic medical centers as well as other teaching institutions across the United States. Andy works with these clients on their periodic reviews, and represents them when necessary to rebut adverse evaluations, including handling ACGME and LCME administrative hearings.
He has published texts and articles in a variety of legal and health industry journals. Andy is also a frequent speaker at hospital and health care symposia on a wide range of health law issues. He has appeared before professional organizations, including the American Health Lawyers Association, Catholic Managed Care Executive Forum, New York State Bar Association, University HealthSystem Consortium, Greater New York Hospital Association, Healthcare Financial Management Association, Association of Program Directors in Surgery, and the Association for Hospital Medical Education, among others.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Andy was the partner-in-charge of the New York health law practice of an Am Law 100 firm.
During law school, he was a member of theHofstra Law Review.
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide, (05.23.2014)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.16.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Quoted inACGME Looks to Shift Focus from Residents' Work Hours,Modern Healthcare (06.17.2013)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide, (05.24.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Andrew B. Roth to Present at American Health Lawyers Association Graduate Medical Education Bootcamp Webinar, (10.24.2012)
• Twenty-Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2012 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.20.2012)
• Sixty Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2013 Edition, (08.24.2012)
• Forty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2012 Guide, (06.07.2012)
• Twenty Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2011 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (09.23.2011)
• Forty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 Edition, (09.06.2011)
• Thirty Four Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2011 Guide, (03.21.2011)
• Eighteen Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2010 New York Super Lawyers, (09.29.2010)
• Thirty-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2011 Edition, (08.11.2010)
• Mintz Levin Adds Six Attorneys to Chambers USA 2010 Guide, (03.23.2010)
• Chambers USA Names 22 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in Their Fields for 2009, (06.12.2009)
• Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Super Lawyers, (10.01.2008)
• Andrew B. Roth speaking at the American Health Lawyers Association's 2008 Annual Meeting, (06.30.2008)
• Chambers USA Names 20 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in their Fields for 2008, (06.18.2008)
• Ten Mintz Levin Attorneys Named New York Metro Super Lawyers, (09.24.2007)
• Chambers USA Names 19 Mintz Levin Attorneys Leaders in Their Fields for 2007, (06.15.2007)
Recognitions & Awards
• Chambers USA:New York - Healthcare (2007 - 2014)
• New York Super Lawyers: Health Care (2006 - 2013)
• Best Lawyers in America: Health Care Law (2011 - 2014)
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
Co-author,Corporate Practice of Medicine: An Old Doctrine Breathing New Life,New York Law Journal (06.25.2014)
• Co-author,New York's Nonprofit Revitalization Act Becomes Law,Health Law Alert (12.23.2013)
• Co-author,New York Cracks Down on Executive Compensation for Not-for-Profits,New York Law Journal (11.22.2013)
• Co-author,Transforming Not-for-Profit Governance and Oversight in New York: The Nonprofit Revitalization Act and Executive Compensation Reform Act,Health Law Advisory (07.02.2013)
• Co-author,Graduate Medical Education Reimbursement Final Rule Under PPACA Offers Relief for Hospitals,BNA's Medicare Report (01.28.2011)
• Corporate Practice of Medicine and Fee Splitting,Legal Manual for New York Physicians (2011)
• HIPAA Electronic Transaction, Security and Privacy Regulations,Legal Manual for New York Physicians (2011)
• Hospital Medical Staff Membership and Privileges: Rules for Attending Physicians and Hospital-Employed Physicians,Legal Manual for New York Physicians (2011)
• Co-author,The Impact of Health Care Reform on Graduate Medical Education Reimbursement,BNA's Medicare Report (07.16.2010)
• Co-author,Physician Self-Referrals,New York Law Journal (12.17.2007)
Speaker,Graduate Medical Education Program Accreditation, American Health Lawyers Association, Webinar (10.25.2012)
• Speaker,Meaningful Use: The Healthcare Executive's Role in IT Decisions, Healthcare Leaders of New York (03.11.2010)