Barry Shimkin concentrates his practice in the area of transactional real estate law. He specializes in commercial leasing, including office and retail leases from both landlord's and tenant's side, sale and lease back transactions, triple net and ground leases, brokerage, rental agency and management agreements, and related areas.
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, New York State Bar Association, Real Property Section
· Member, New York State Bar Association, Committee on Commercial Leasing, 1994-present
· Volunteer, Association for Children with Down Syndrome
· Instructor, Cyclone Wrestling Club, Rockville Centre, New York
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2013-2014
· Member, Winning Team, Chambers USA Award for Excellence, Real Estate, 2013
· Team Member, The Legal 500 United States, "Top Tier" Firm in Real Estate, 2013
· Team Member, a Law360 "Real Estate Practice Group of the Year," 2011 and 2012
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, New York Super Lawyers, 2006-2012
· Listed, AVENUE magazine "Legal Elite," Real Estate Law, April 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Coordination and overseeing of leasing programs at major Class A New York City office buildings, including 101 Park Avenue, 195 Broadway, 230 Park Avenue, 237 Park Avenue, 450 West 33rd Street, 350 Madison Avenue, Wall Street Plaza a/k/a 88 Pine Street.
· Representation of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)/Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) in connection with the leasing (and condominiumization) of the Atlantic Avenue LIRR Terminal Project in Brooklyn, NY for a retail center and office building.
· Representation of MTA/LIRR in connection with the sale and leasing of portions of the Vanderbilt Train Yard for construction of an arena for the New Jersey Nets.
· Representation of Polo Ralph Lauren in the leasing of retail premises located in New York City and East Hampton, N.Y.
· Representation of Warburg Dillon Read (now Prudential) in leasing and subleasing of office space at 535 Madison Avenue, NYC.
· Representation of Marc Ecko Enterprises in connection with its headquarters office lease in NYC and its proposed flagship retail location in the 42nd Street development area in NYC.
Publications & Presentations
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Past Lecturer in Negotiation and Real Estate related classes, New York University School of Continuing Education, Real Estate Institute