Areas of Practice
Ben Roesch joined Lane Powell after serving as a law clerk for the Alaska Supreme Court, Justice Robert Eastaugh. He worked in Lane Powell's Alaska office for two years before transferring to the Seattle office in the Spring of 2007. He concentrates his practice in insurance coverage disputes for the London Market and complex commercial litigation.
· Markel International Insurance Company, London, England, Legal Secondee (October 2007-February 2008)
· Alaska Supreme Court, Law Clerk for Justice Robert L. Eastaugh (2004-2005)
· Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Summer Associate (2003)
Practice Group and Specialty Team Memberships
· London Insurance Market
· Electronic Discovery Committee
Representative Matters and Clients
· Monk v. Driessen, 2012 WL 4857208 (Wa. App. 2012). Briefed and argued successful defense of legal malpractice claim
· Sulzer Pumps (US), Inc. v. Superior Court, No. B222280 (Cal. App. 2010). Assisted in briefing successful defense of trial court's decision on forum non conveniens issues.
· Allstate Ins. Co. v. Liberty Surplus Ins. Corp., 2010 WL 598766 (Wn.App. 2010). Assisted in briefing successful appeal of product liability insurance matter.
· Taylor v. Sentry Group of Companies, No. 08-35116 (9th Cir. 2009). Assisted in briefing successful defense of bad faith insurance claim.
· Kazan v. Dough Boys, Inc., 201 P.3d 508 (Alaska 2009). Briefed successful appeal upholding validity of settlement agreement.
· Whittier Properties, Inc. v. Alaska National Insurance Company, 185 P.3d 84 (Alaska 2008). Assisted in briefing successful summary judgment motion finding no coverage for multi-policy pollution claim.
· Raad v. Fairbanks Northstar Borough School District, 201 Fed.Appx. 396 (9th Cir. 2006). Assisted with successful briefing defending discrimination and retaliation claims and award of attorney's fees.
· "What Are the Potential Consequences of Accepting Late Payments on a Loan or Other Contract?" Puget Sound Business Journal ADR and Litigation Q&A Column Titled "Ask the Legal Professionals" (November 30, 2012)
· "Alaska," a chapter in Misrepresentation in the Life, Health, and Disability Insurance Application Process: A National Survey, American Bar Association, J. Hamilton, 2009 (Co-author)
· "Money For Nothing? Unconditional Payments and Unjust Enrichment in Jackman v. Jewel Lake Villa One," 25 ALASKA L. REV. 157, 2008
· "Crowd Control: The Majoritarian Court and the Reflection of Public Opinion in Doctrine," 39 SUFF. L. REV. 379, 2006
· "Erie Similarities: Alaska Civil Rule 68, "Direct Collisions," and the Problem of Non-Aligning Background Assumptions," 23 ALASKA L. REV. 81, 2006
Awards and Honors
· Named as a "Washington Rising Star," Super Lawyers magazine, Insurance Coverage (2012)
06.13.2012, 28 Lane Powell Attorneys Named 'Washington Super Lawyers;' 12 Named as 'Washington Rising Stars'
11.18.2011, Lane Powell Announces Seven New Shareholders
01.19.2011, Lane Powell Files Amicus Curiae Brief with U.S. Supreme Court in Pro Bono Case
06.01.2008, Money or Nothing? Unconditional Payments and Unjust Enrichment in Jackson V. Jewel Lake Villa One