Practice/Industry Group Overview
"An impressive firm that is very much on the ball. They explain very clearly the pros and cons of a certain strategy and help us to the best outcome.’” – Chambers USA
Cadwalader's Intellectual Property team is known for its depth of experience and exceptional capabilities in all intellectual property matters. Our lawyers help clients maximize their investments in intellectual property and protect their market assets, whether that requires enforcing or defending IP claims in litigation and trials, or providing expert opinions, or evaluating and selling or licensing intellectual property, or obtaining comprehensive/strategic IP protection, or conducting due diligence.
The lawyers who advise in these areas include a growing number of nationally and internationally recognized intellectual property lawyers who hold Ph.D., bio-medical, engineering and other advanced scientific degrees and who are highly experienced in range of technologies - mechanical and electro-mechanical subject matters, computer hardware/software, business methods, financial services, cellular telephone and semiconductor technologies, sophisticated medical devices, chemical and pharmaceutical matters, and complex biotechnologies. Our lawyers have even helped clients obtain pioneer patent protection in new emerging technologies, such as the famous "Priceline" patent, which was successfully asserted in litigation.
Many of our IP lawyers have also been serving in prestigious leadership positions with and remain active members of key bar associations, including the New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA), the International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association (ITCTLA), the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), the Licensing Executives Society (LES), Intellectual Property Owners (IPO), the Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law and Intellectual Property Sections of the New York State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
- Zhengzhou Jinhui Computer System Engineering, Ltd. as co-defendant in a copyright infringement and trade secret action
- IBM in a multi-defendant patent infringement suit in E.D. Texas
- Angiodynamics as defendant in a patent infringement suit on patent relating to catheter devices
- Merck & Co. in Hatch Waxman patent cases against Hetero Drugs Ltd. and Hetero USA Inc. involving Merck's Propecia product, a treatment for male pattern hair loss alleging infringement of patents for methods of treating androgenic alopecia following a Paragraph IV certification as part of Hetero's filing of an Abbreviated New Drug Application to manufacture a generic version of Propecia
- Real Estate Alliance Ltd. (REAL) in a patent case involving more than 35 real estate industry participants, including popular website operators, trade associations, and software providers, who allegedly infringe REAL's pioneer patent describing mapping methods for locating available real estate properties for sale, lease, or rental using a database of available properties
- General Atomics as a cross-claimant alleging, inter alia, trade secret misappropriation by a former employee and his new company dealing with laser-based three dimensional imaging systems
- Medinol in defending Abbott's appeal of a determination of patent infringement
- Medinol in German Nullity Proceeding brought by Abbott with respect to Medinol patents in the German Federal Patent Court