David R. Augustin concentrates his practice in the area of real estate law, with particular emphasis on financings and workouts, commercial acquisitions, sales and leasing, retail projects, hotels, including management and franchise agreements, tax-deferred exchanges, and real estate development.
Mr. Augustin has represented buyers and sellers of complex commercial projects, including acquisitions and dispositions of portfolios of properties and of equity interest in the owners of projects. Additionally, he works with lenders in documenting real estate loans and has closed numerous multistate transactions. He has also assisted lenders in restructuring troubled real estate loans. Mr. Augustin has worked on purchases and sales of hotels and resorts, loans involving hotels (both as lender's and borrower's counsel), and hotel management and franchise agreements on behalf of owners. He has represented landlords and tenants in office, retail and other commercial leases.
Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, he is a member of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association and the Real Property Section of the Philadelphia Bar Association. He is a former member of the Legislative Action Committee of the Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute.
Mr. Augustin is a frequent speaker at seminars on a variety of topics and has also written a number of articles. He is a 1988 graduate of Villanova University School of Law and a graduate of Princeton University.
•Duane Morris LLP
- Partner, 1998-present
- Associate, 1990-1997
Honors & Awards
•Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, 2010-2015
•Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2006-2008 and 2012-2015
•Listed in Philadelphia SmartCEO Legal Elite, 2012
•Listed in Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, May 2009
• AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Selected Speaking Engagements
•Roundtable Leader, Strategies for Buying and Selling Distressed Real Estate and Other Assets, Duane Morris Event, Philadelphia, April 22, 2009
• The Fundamentals of Real Estate Law in Pennsylvania, seminar presented by Lorman Education Services, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, January 21, 2004
• Title Insurance: The Basics and Beyond, Commercial Lending Requirements and Loan Documentation in Pennsylvania, seminar presented by Lorman Education Services, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 23, 2003
• Lender Issues in Office and Retail Leasing and Tenant Defaults and Landlord Remedies, National Business Institute seminar titled The Essentials of Office and Retail Leases in Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 4, 2001, King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, April 5, 2000, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 6, 1999
• Perfection of Security Interests in Non-Real Property Collateral in a Real Estate Loan Transaction, CLE International's Advanced Real Estate Finance Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, June 20-21, 1996, June 12-13, 1997, June 11-12, 1998 and October 12-13, 2000
•Author, New Jersey Prepayment Law Does Not Apply to Individual Guarantors of a Commercial Loan, Duane Morris Alert, June 27, 2014
•Co-author, Philadelphia Creates Land Bank for City to Sell and Purchase Vacant Property, Duane Morris Alert, January 16, 2014
•Co-author, Pennsylvania Supreme Court Weighs in on Amendments to Pa. Oil and Gas Act, Duane Morris Alert, December 23, 2013
•Co-author, N.J. Superior Court Finds That Condemning Authority Is Not Required to Negotiate with Mortgagee Prior to Initiation of Eminent Domain Action, Duane Morris Alert, February 21, 2013
•Co-author, Revised Common Level Ratio for Philadelphia May Entitle Certain Taxpayers to a Refund, Duane Morris Alert, February 20, 2013
•Author, When Your Retail Tenant Wants a Rent Reduction, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, December 2009/No. 261
•Author, Seventh Circuit Upholds Yield Maintenance Prepayment Premium, Shopping Center Legal Update, Vol. 27, Issue 3, Fall/Winter 2007
•Co-Author, Tenants Rights of First Refusal Might Not Be As Simplistic As They Appear, Commercial Real Estate Quarterly, a supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, April 2000
•Co-Author, Lenders: Beware the Hidden Liability of Loans, Commercial Real Estate Quarterly, a supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, March 2000
•Author, IRS Announces Safe Harbors for 'Reverse' Section 1031 Exchanges
•Co-author, Landlords Advised Against Self-Help to Recover Possession, The Legal Intelligencer, March 26, 1990