Ellen specializes in providing regulatory and strategic advice to health care providers and payors of all types, including hospitals, managed care organizations, long-term care facilities, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and device manufacturers, telemedicine providers, and urgent care and retail health clinics. She also represents companies doing business with, and investing in, health care providers.
Ellen's practice focuses on Medicare, Medicaid, and third-party payor audits, including risk adjustment audits, and investigations; the development of corporate compliance programs, and hospital/physician relationships, including compliance with the state and federal anti-kickback laws and the Stark Law. She also advises on internet based health initiatives, electronic health records, and HIPAA-related privacy and security matters.
Before joining Mintz Levin, Ellen was an assistant attorney general for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. She represented state agencies responsible for health care reimbursement, licensing, and regulation in administrative and court proceedings, and prosecuted Medicaid fraud cases.
Ellen served as a member of the advisory committee that worked with the Massachusetts Health IT Council on the development and implementation of the statewide HIT strategic plan and health information exchange.
She has written about and speaks frequently on state and federal telehealth laws, the corporate practice of medicine, compliance programs, board governance matters, HIPAA privacy and data security, technology and health care, and hospital/physician relationships. Ellen has successfully argued two cases before the US Supreme Court.
Ellen currently serves as a Member of the Board of Directors for Wediko Children's Services.
Recognitions & Awards
•Best Lawyers in America: Boston Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year (2014)
•Best Lawyers in America: Health Care Law (2008 - 2015)
•Chambers USA: Massachusetts - Healthcare (2008 - 2014)
•Recognized by The Legal 500 United States for Healthcare: Service Providers (2014)
•Massachusetts Super Lawyers: Health Care (2004 - 2014)
•Heroes of the Field Award 2010, Massachusetts Medical Law Report
•Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
•Co-author, Regulation of Health IT: A Risk-Based Approach, Health IT Alert (05.08.2014)
• HIPAA Omnibus Rule Reference Chart, Health Law Alert (01.22.2013)
• Author, The Best and Worst of HIPAA Compliance, Corporate Compliance Insights (02.19.2012)
• Co-author, Federal Money for EHR Meaningful Users in Closer Reach, Health Law Alert (07.21.2010)
• Co-author, Massachusetts Department of Public Health Issues Guidance Document IV To Clarify the Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Manufacturers Code of Conduct, Health Law Alert (03.04.2010)
• Co-author, Meaningful Use = Meaningless Dollars, Health Care Reform Advisory (01.15.2010)
• Co-author, The Health Care Fraud Enforcement Juggernaut Continues, BNA Health Care Fraud Report (07.29.2009)
• Co-author, Massachusetts Nonprofit Organizations, (2008)
•Mintz Levin Attorneys Ellen L. Janos and Julie E. Korostoff to Present at American Telemedicine Association Annual International Meeting & Trade Show, (04.24.2015)
• Proposed Replacement of Sustainable Growth Rate Addresses Telehealth, Med Monthly (04.2015)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Ellen L. Janos to Present at 2014 mHealth Israel Conference, (12.12.2014)
• Eighty-Five Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2014 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.17.2014)
• Sixty-Two Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 Edition, (08.18.2014)
• Nineteen Mintz Levin Attorneys and Seven Practice Areas Featured in 2014 Legal 500 United States Guide, (07.24.2014)
• Quoted in Online Medical Clinic Virtuwell Now Available in Virginia, Washington Post (07.13.2014)
• Fifty-One Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2014 Guide, (05.23.2014)
• Mintz Levin Attorneys Ellen L. Janos and Julie E. Korostoff to Present at American Telemedicine Association Annual International Meeting & Trade Show, (05.16.2014)
• Mintz Levin Wins Dismissal of False Claims Act Charges Against Shopko Stores, (11.13.2013)
• Seventy-Nine Mintz Levin Attorneys Named 2013 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, (10.21.2013)
• Mintz Levin Attorney Ellen L. Janos Named Best Lawyers' Boston Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year”, (08.15.2013)
• Sixty-Three Mintz Levin Attorneys Included in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 Edition, (08.15.2013)
• Forty-Eight Mintz Levin Attorneys Featured in Chambers USA 2013 Guide, (05.24.2013)
• Quoted in Lead Clinicians Should Know AHLA Disclosure Guidelines, Healthcare Risk Management (08.2012)
• Quoted in What Gift Ban?, Boston Business Journal (04.13.2012)
•Panelist, Operating a Successful Telemedicine Program: Staying Ahead of the Shifting Legal and Regulatory Landscape, ATA Annual International Meeting & Trade Show, Los Angeles, CA (05.04.2015)
• Speaker, US Regulatory Trends: 2015 and Beyond, mHealth Israel Conference, mHealth Israel, Tel Aviv, Israel (12.15.2014)
• Panelist, New Health Care Delivery Models: State Regulatory Challenges, PLI Seminar: Health Care and Life Sciences Law 2014, Practising Law Institute (PLI), New York, NY (10.24.2014)
• Speaker, Legal and Contract Issues That Impact the Development and Implementation of a Successful Telemedicine Program, ATA 2014, American Telemedicine Association, Baltimore, MD (05.19.2014)
• Panelist, Health Care & Life Sciences: Current Legal Issues Affecting the Practice of Telemedicine, Health Care and Life Sciences Law 2013, Practising Law Institute (PLI), New York, NY (10.04.2013)
• Speaker, How State Medical Board Rules Affect Your Telemedicine Business, American Telemedicine Association Annual Meeting, Austin, TX (05.06.2013)
• Speaker, Individual Liability for Corporate Officers/Executives: Current Issues, LTC Legal and Operations Committee Annual Meeting, Long Term Care Risk Legal Forum, Las Vegas, NV (01.17.2013)
• Speaker, Privacy and Information Security, HFMA Compliance Update Seminar, Healthcare and Financial Management Association of Massachusetts-Rhode Island, Westborough, MA (12.02.2011)
• Life Sciences Compliance Boot Camp, American Conference Institute (2011)
• Speaker, Government Enforcement Trends that Dictate Compliance Protocols, Life Sciences Compliance Bootcamp, American Conference Institute (06.28.2010)
• Speaker, Strengthening of Health Care Fraud and Abuse Authorities, Health Care Reform: What's Happened and What's Next for the Health Care Industry, Mintz Levin and ML Strategies, Boston, MA (04.29.2010)