Gary R. Greenberg has more than 25 years of experience throughout the United States and other parts of the world, including Switzerland, United Kingdom, Bulgaria, the Cayman Islands, Cyprus and the Isle of Man, representing clients in a wide variety of complex matters, at trials and in state and federal appellate courts and the Supreme Court of the United States, including international fraud recovery, patent infringement and intellectual property disputes; securities litigation; class actions; money laundering actions; civil forfeiture proceedings; asbestos litigation; Petroleum Marketing Practices Act litigation; mail and wire fraud criminal proceedings; labor disputes; shareholder derivative actions; franchisor-franchisee disputes; lender-borrower disputes; telecommunications litigation; public bid procurement disputes; land-use disputes; litigation concerning regulations promulgated by state and federal agencies; complex personal injury; binding and non-binding mediation; death action claims; and contract, tort and statutory claims. Gary also appears before state and federal administrative agencies. He has lectured, conducted workshops, and served as a public commentator for print and radio commentary on a variety of litigation issues.
Gary represents a wide cross section of clients engaged in many industries, including: financial institutions, multi-use real estate development, energy production, information technology, retail and others.
Gary devotes significant time to supporting many non-profit organizations, both in his role as a member of boards of directors, as well as assuming leadership roles in many of their funding activities.
Areas of Concentration
· International fraud recovery
· Intellectual property and patent litigation
· Securities litigation
· Complex commercial litigation
· Real estate financing
· Energy products facilities
Professional & Community Involvement
· Member, The New England Council, Board of Directors
· Member, Catholic Charities of Boston, Host Committee
· Member, Massachusetts General Hospital, Host Committee
· Participant, Boston Chamber of Commerce Executive Leadership Institute, 2012
· Member, Greater Boston Legal Services, Board of Directors, 2010-2012
· Member, Roca, Inc., Board of Directors, 2010-2012
· Co-Chairman, Roca's 6th Annual Fundraiser, 2011
· Board Member, The Home For Little Wanderers, Board of Directors, 2007-2009
- Co-Chairman, Annual Gala Fundraiser
- Vice-Chairman, Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
· Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2012
· Listed, "Law Review: Who's Who in Legal Services," Boston Business Journal, March 10, 2011
· Rated, AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
· Represented a large financial institution in numerous lawsuits defending several hundred million-dollar claims arising out of sales of residential mortgage-backed securities.
· Defended the co-founder of a fiber optics networking company in several billion-dollar lawsuit involving publicly traded companies concerning allegations of theft and/or misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information.
· Represented a liquidating trust established by U.S. District Court in international litigation for recovery of hundreds of millions of dollars lost by investors resulting from fraudulent conduct by certain corporate officers.
· Represented commercial real estate property owners in a multimillion-dollar jury verdict for unfair and deceptive conduct by defendants in a real estate dispute.
· Obtained jury verdict on behalf of a publicly traded high-tech company seeking monetary damages for conversion of proprietary information.
· Obtained jury verdict in favor of a multinational accounting firm and bank in a multimillion-dollar claim arising out of the sale of property located outside the United States.
· Represented several lending institutions in defending lender liability claims in numerous proceedings.
· Represented a large NYSE company in the recovery of over $10 million in a patent infringement suit.
· Represented a publicly traded international pharmaceutical company in numerous civil actions throughout the United States concerning pricing claims involving states and federal laws.
· Represented a major Boston hotel in a widely publicized discrimination claim.
· Obtained multimillion-dollar U.S. District Court jury verdict in favor of franchisee gasoline dealers' group against major oil companies involving claims under Petroleum Marketing Practices Act.
· Represented a NYSE company in intellectual property dispute with international consulting company.
· Defended an eight figure damage claim by corporate purchaser against former owners of corporate seller.
· Defended a 1031 intermediary in federal court jury trial against criminal mail and wire fraud charges.
· Defended a hotel owner in a multimillion-dollar arbitration trial concerning long-term ground lease dispute.
· Represented a corporate client in bid protest concerning an $87 million public contract.
· Represented a publicly traded corporation accused of manufacturing allegedly inherent dangerous products.
· Appointed as arbitrator by the American Arbitration Association to adjudicate commercial disputes.
Articles, Lectures & Publications
· Author, "Look for Partnering Opportunities: How Your Organization Can Truly Make a Difference!" Le Courrier, July 2011
· Profiled, "Quiet Competition," Boston Business Journal, June 25, 2010
· Quoted, "Greenberg Traurig Nabs Corporate Team in Boston," The National Law Journal, January 21, 2010
· Quoted, "Greenberg Traurig Expands Boston Office With Addition of Former Advisor to Puerto Rico's President of Government Development Back Diego R. Figueroa," Earthtimes, February 27, 2009
· Quoted, "Greenberg Traurig Attorney Annapoorni Sankaran Included Among Boston Business Journal's '40 Under 40,'" Fox Business, August 13, 2009
· Quoted, "Greenberg Traurig Attorney Selected For Massachusetts Life Sciences Collaborative Task Force," Boston Business News, August 25, 2009
· Quoted, "Time Served," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 9, 2009
· Quoted, "Sports Agents Fight Over Cuban Pitcher," Courthouse News Service, December 18, 2009
· Quoted, "(Un)fair play," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, December 28, 2009
· Quoted, "Former AG Reilly Rules Out Another Stint in Politics," Boston Business Journal, June 27, 2008
· Quoted, "Commercial Petroleum Marketing Practices Act," Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly, April 28, 2008
· Quoted, "Federal Court Has Jurisdiction Over Claims Passed From a Corporation to Its Bankruptcy Estate to a Trust," New Jersey Law Journal, March 17, 2008